• In the Spotlight:

how to help dialate

s there anything that i can do to speed up my dialation. im past due, and i have been at 1 cm. for about a month. i plan to do a home birth, so i would like to go into labor without going to the hospital to get induced. but my i am at 42 weeks tomorrow and they have been talking about induction, i have tried sex, but being so far along its not always an option. i have tried walking, is there anything else that could help get things going so i dont have to go to the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nipple stimulation for several hours a day.
    walk walk walk i know you tried it but other then that its about all you can do.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Primrose oil..
    Do you have a midwife?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Eat pineapple and drink raspberry tea. Im not sure if it's 100% true or just coincidence, but I was told to do that so I did before I went to bed and started having contractions at 3am.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Red leaf raspberry tea... you have to find the tea that actual raspberry instead of just the flavoring.
    i have heard bouncing on a yoga ball helps the baby to move onto your cervix and increase dilation.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Wal mama, walk...the other ideas (like the ball) are great but we don't know your personal info so walking is the safest excercise right now. Also , even if the induce you-they could give you the creme for your cevix and you can go home overnite to see if it works. I know you don't want to but at 42 weeks your baby needs to get out because your placenta can start to shut down. DS was only 6 days late and when they delivered my placenta, it had already begun to shrink(it was an emergency birth). good luck and hang in there mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My personal feeling is that you couldn't drag me to a hospital, unless it was a life threatening situation... not just a "could be" situation.
    Anonymous

• You don't need to go to a hospital for an induction if you are still having a healthy pregnancy. No reason to ADD risks where there are otherwise none.

Walking & sex are the safest options, anything else is one (or more) steps removed from natural & normal. Your baby is still in there for a reason, why mess with that? ;-)

You're having a homebirth because you want the best for your baby~ no reason to give that up at this time!!

The Average length of pregnancy is 38-42 weeks, but of course MANY women lie on the outside of this average. If it's a first baby, then the average is actually 41 weeks, 1 day.
    Have faith in your body~ this is perfect for YOU. :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When I was determined to get my DD out I called my aunt who is a mid wife and she told me to take a table spoon of caster oil eat a resses cup and hot root beer, I did that went and had sex, then walked up and down the stairs for a while then went and drove on really bumpy roads went home ate a good meal then went to the hospital to have my daughter and 36 hours latter she was out
    Anonymous

• ITA w/ doulala...if you're planning a homebirth then why on earth would anyone talk about induction at a hospital? That's just silly.

I was 42 weeks 1 day when I went into "hard" labor (had really been in labor for 3 days but it wasn't THAT bad more like prodromal labor). She was born at midnight on what would have been 42 weeks 2 days. I've met women on here who go to 43-44 weeks.

TheBodyShopMom

Answer by TheBodyShopMom at 2:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• cont... I can tell you what I did for those 3 days when I was trying to get labor going - walk, walk, walk. I walked AT LEAST 2 miles each day (but I had been doing that throughout pregnancy too). Halloween night we went to Trunk or Treat at my parent's church and I chased after my 2 year old. And by chased, I mean RAN...ever seen a 42 week pregnant woman run? Its possible. I cleaned house and cooked. Finally, the day before I went into "real" labor I went for a bumpy truck ride in the woods (my dad is a Forester).

But honestly, why rush? If you are 42 weeks then you KNOW it won't be long now. It could be a few days or even a week, but seriously, it will come sooner than you think.
    TheBodyShopMom