OMG! How bad does it hurt?

My son is cruising, and stands all the time now, but only stands supported, and a lot of times I'm there with him in case he falls. But when Im not, I'll be across the room or something, and I'll hear "thump!". So I run over and calm his cries, but he just gtes back up again afetr I sit him someplace else.

How bad is it for him to always fall and hit his head? (whenever I put pillows down he manages to miss them)

Do/did your baby(s) fall when they were learning to stand/walk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they all fall they arnt good with balance yet. it comes with time.
    try moving your coffee table out of the way so if he does fall hes not hitting his head on the table. other wise hes fine.
    in fact i even suggest not running to him every time he falls now obviously if hes really crying hard yes comfort him but he will learn to get up and brush himself off and try again. If you go running every time he will cry every time he falls even when he didnt hurt himself.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Sometimes I'll be in the other room for a minute, and I'll hear the thump, and wait for the screaming, whenever he bumps his head he cries. If he falls from sitting, he'll brush that off and get up again
    Anonymous

• Just remember they don't fall as far or as hard as we do because they're still little, so what seems like it would hurt might not. I've had my share of cringes when they fell, thinking "Ow!", but then they didn't cry at all. Plus like what Mommy2B04 said, sometimes just becasue you make a big deal, they will.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Don't put pillows down - they are tripping hazards!

Enjoy the cruising now.....wait until they are running....then you'll long for these days.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• They all fall and sometimes they get hurt and sometimes it just scares them. The only thing I would do is make sure you put padding around any furniture that has sharp edges.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with Mommy2B04, my little Kaylee is 7 months and standing (supported) on just about everything she can reach, but I made an announcement to my family that if she is at their house and she falls, they are to clap and encourage her to get back up, NOT run over and fuss about her falling over. After 2 weeks (so far) of doing that, she hardly cries when she falls, she gets right back up unless she actually hurt herself, THEN she cries.

Your baby will be falling A LOT for the next few years. Pampering now will only make (IMO) a crybaby later.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I totally agree with CarolynBarnett. With our daughter and now our son when they fall (unless it was major) we say did you crash and burn? We ask then if they are ok and then off they go. MY mil used to always gasp when DD fell and then she woudl cry. Just make sure the sharp edges are covered and don't put down pillows anymore because they just make it harder for him. It only gets worse the older they get so calm down and remember soon they will be off on their own so enjoy it now.
    mamaofhw

Answer by mamaofhw at 11:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my daughter is just walknig now and she is 10 months, she seemed to fall ALL the time, and when she did it was always on her head, i was always so scared she was gonna get really hurt eventually you know, but now that her balance is a little better she learned how to fall right, she will put her hands out in front of her or she will fall on her bottom first, so noo worries he will learn to catch himself very soon :)
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2008