Snow shovel etiquette

You and your neighbor share a walkway to the sidewalk. It has been snowing hard and the snow is now knee deep. Your neighbor owns a shovel, you do not. Is it okay to use her shovel to clear your shared walkway?

ta2dirishlass

Asked by ta2dirishlass at 12:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Oh yes def!! I mean I would think they would be most grateful that you did the back breaking work of shoveling, and wouldn't care whos shovel you used!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 12:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't see why they would mind at all. They should be grateful!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If I could I would hand you my shovel lol. Definantly you should go over and say"it's my day to shovel, can I borrow yours?" If they have a prob with that, go buy a shovel and only shovel halfway lol, maybe they will rethink not loaning it to you.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY! She provides the tool, you provide the labor! Of course, I would ask her to use her shovel first, then invite her over for coffee/hot cocoa afterwards!!! :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If they get upset then they have issues.
    We have a snow blower and we gave our next door neighbors a key to our garage so they could get the snow blower out to use it if they wanted. They tend to want to clear the snow way before we do so...more power to them. The people on the other side of them also have a snow blower. No matter which house does the snow blowing we always clear the snow away from all 3 houses and usually the houses on either end (so the people to the left of us and the people to the right of the other neighbors). We also clear off each other's stairs sometimes. That's what neighbors do for each other.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• why not buy your own shovel? they're like what 15-20 dollars then you will have your own :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with the others. Just knock on their door and tell them that you don't mind taking your turn to shovel if you can use their shovel to do it. I really can't see anyone having a problem with you doing the manual work if it means that they don't have to.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 1:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Hell yes...what would they have to bitch about...their walk was shovled? If that is the case then you beat them over the head with it. lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Buy a shovel, just because.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 12:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2008