How do you breastfeed with 4 other children to take care of?

A friend of mine just had her fifth child. She was going to bottle and breast feed because of trying to take care of all 5 kids. They are 3 weeks, 19 mos, 3 yrs, 5 yrs and 11yrs. so anyway, the baby only wants to breast feed, but she is having two problems. First she said the baby isnt getting much when she nurses and the second problem being how to keep the other little ones out of EVERYTHING while she is nursing. I did encourage her to breast feed more to bring her milk supply up, but with the problem of handling the other kids it is hard for her to do that. Her 11 year old is almost never there because of church activities. So are there any moms out there who have any advice for her?

HadassasMommy

Asked by HadassasMommy at 1:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ahhhh, I am a mother of 5 and it was impossible to breast feed my youngest. I have a 2 1/2 month old, a 2 year old, a 5 year old, a 7 year old and an 8 year old and it never failed whenever I would sit down to nurse somebody would need something. I had to supplement (sp) with formula and pump the milk from my missed feeding from breast. Now my body is so used to doing the supplements that I nurse three times a day, morning when he first wakes up, at nap time when my 2 year old goes down and at night before bed. That is my time with the baby and all attention is on him.
    Anonymous

• It is not natural for a woman to handle all of this by herself, and she needn’t feel inadequate when she can’t. She SHOULD have help. Consider the fact that not only is the new baby not getting the breastmilk she needs, but the other children are also being deprived of the care they could get if more than one adult were involved. Up until the age of 10, is the hugest time for the development of a person's brain. I was shocked to read that around that age, the brain secretes an enzyme and dissolves all the little-used connections between neurons. So, what they have encountered, what they have laid the groundwork for, before the age of 10, establishes their brainpower. Another adult in the situation could make sure that the children encounter singing songs, playing an instrument, … (cont’d)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• (cont'd)… doing handcrafts and artwork, climbing trees and playing in a meadow or a garden, stirring up a batch of muffins, building a fort in the livingroom with big sheets and couch cushions, putting dolls to bed, building with blocks, sitting and having a favorite picture book read to them over and over, also learning little phrases or songs or how to say the numbers in other languages ... there is so much !
    It is so nice that you are trying to help with this situation! Best wishes.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• They are a single income family with five children, they cannot afford a nanny. It would be nice, but not something they can do. PS here kids already speak two languages.
    HadassasMommy

Answer by HadassasMommy at 8:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• go to the library a lot and get good books, so you can read to the other kids while you nurse.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2008