how much do you feed your 9 month old of baby food?

I just started feeding my son stage 3. I used to give him TWO 2nd stage jars of baby food. Now i don't know if the one jar of stage 3 is enough or if i should give him 1 stage 3 and 1 stage 2.. i forget the ounces in stage 2 but stage 3 is 6 oz. I am obviously going to watch him and see if he gets hungry sooner and stuff i'm just wondering other moms do.
Thanks

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All three of mine were on table foods at 9 months. I cut up a little bit on the plate for them, if they ate it all and still wanted more I gave them a little more. If they didn't finish it, then I put a little less on the next time.

Our pediatrician told us not to use stage 3. It's "slime" and then chunks. It's a potential choking hazard (they're eating the puree and suddenly a chunk slides down their throat) and he called it a marketing ploy.

Up until this point, they ate 2 jars of stage 2 and then 8-10oz of formula (roughly 40oz per day). Once on table foods, eating a balanced diet and having no food sensitivities, the doctor put them on milk and we cut them down to 20oz per day (water the rest of the day if they were thirsty).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Their stomachs are the size of THEIR fist. Go by that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• well i've heard that before but he's been eating more than that pretty much his whole life. And he's average weight so i don't know.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• well my son never at 3rd foods but when he was on 2nd he ate 3 to 4 jars meat vegie and 2 jars of fruit sometimes
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• at one sitting??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have the same problem. My son is 11 months and I'm never sure how much to feed him because I am still breastfeeding so I don't know how much he is getting from that. It is confusing. I read that they are supposed to eat every three hours so I just try to feed him every couple of hours to see if he is hungry and just feed him till he is obviously full. Don't know if this is a good way to do it or not.
    Anonymous

• My DD will not eat stage 3 foods so she eats 3 jars of stage 2. Meat, veggie, and fruit along with rice cereal. She is 11 months old. Oh yea, and 6 to 8 oz formula. She gets three meals a day with two snacks. She cokes on the stage 3. My doctor told me at 12 months to go to table food vs stage 3. I guess my little one eats a lot too......

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 2:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• some days my daughter(who was eating solids about twice a day) at that age, would consume what i would guess is the equivalent to a jar or jar and 1/2 throughout the entire day.
    we didn't have a structured schedule for solids as they are really only for tasting and testing during that first year anyway.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Lila is 8 1/2 months old and eating about a jar and a half of stage 2 foods plus 2-4 oz. of formula at each sitting. Sometimes I just give her a jar of food, formula, and some table food. She's eating smushed peas, bread, and little tiny bits of unseasoned grilled chicken so far for table food.
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2008