have you severed?

have you severed ties with your ex in laws? I talk to mine once in awhile, but i feel like it is a lie. They are my daughters grandparents , but they welcomed the woman he left me for with open arms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• u think that is bad my mom gets along with the women my dad left her for
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I was CLOSE to my in-laws during my marriage. My ex then went to prison for abusing our kids and I filed for divorce. My in-laws were there 4 the kids 4 everything. I never bought a thing for my kids until they were like 5 years old. Once my ex got out of prison, they quit coming around "cold turkey". Found out they were doing it all along b/c they were hoping I would 4give him and take him back when he got out. My kids didn't know why their grandparents didn't want them anymore. I called them and they wanted to take the kids on their own terms. I told them they couldn't b/c I had a restraining order on their son and he lived with them. I told them they could come to my house or meet me somewhere, but they only wanted the kids alone. I couldn't put my kids in that position to get harmed so they just quit everything and haven't seen/heard from them since. My kids are now 14/13. This happened when they were babies.
    Anonymous

• No, I severed ties with my Ex's family. It's really sad. I really love two of his sisters. But I really needed to sever ties with my Ex and I couldn't see having it both ways. His mom is another story, I tried to keep in contact with her for a while, since she's a grandparent, but it was only one sided so I stopped trying.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• There's another angle to see this from. They don't necessarily have to agree with his decision to end things the way he did but he is still their son. They could choose to be bitter and resent her but instead they have chosen to accept her because this is a woman their son has chosen. This makes for a less hostile and more agreeable relationship all around. I assume they accepted you as well when your relationship with your ex began. The circumstances in which the relationship began don't necessarily have the same meaning to them as they do to you. They are his parents. You cannot expect their loyalty in your break-up regardless of the circumstances. You can however see that you can still have a relationship with them (if you so desire) regardless of their take on this other woman.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I'm still close with my ex inlaws...my ex's Mom brought over gifts for my 2 girls with my current husband (my ex & I had 1 daughter) my ex's sister & I pass down baby clothes. I know it's not like that for everyone...my ex & I are still friends...his fiance even made my daughter's birthday cake...I guess it sometimes depends on the circumstances of the divorce..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• They are his parents, they are loyal to him not you. Again, not wanting to sound like a bitch, but I know I will always side with my children (even when they are wrong) to the outside world.

I still talk to mine, although I am the one that did the leaving. They hate me, but we suffer through just fine.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I still talk to my ex-inlaws. I actually just got a package from them for Christmas. They sent for my daughter and they always include a gift for me. We are closer now, but they understand why I left. When they come over they bring groceries. I never ask them for anything or complain that he is not paying, they just know him and give what they want to their granddaughter. Im am always appreciative. Im sure it helps that we only meet a few times a year b/c we live far apart but it has been nice for them to come to our house and be a part of their granddaughters life.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008