Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pain in leg, between ankle an knee only on inside of leg, and not in the muscle, what could it be?

I have been having this pain on the inside of my lower left leg, it hurts to touch it, it hurts more when I walk mostly when I get up after sitting a while. It just started last week, and has progressvly gotten worse, has anyone had anything similar, I have been looking it up and cant find any answers. My mom thought maybe vericose veins, but I dont feel any that are sticking out or anything.

Answer Question

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 10:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2011 in Health

Level 18 (4,956 Credits)
Answers (23)
  • Pain on the front inside lower portion of the shin is the condition commonly referred to as “shin splints”, and can be treated quite easily. However, pinpoint pain directly on the shin bone (Tibia) should be evaluated by a doctor to rule out any kind of stress fracture. If you are in doubt you should consult your health care provider. Bear with me here and I'll give you some info from the hand out I use in my practice (as a certified Athletic Trainer - sports medicine specialist)


    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • There are many contributing factors that cause “Shin Splint” pain. Some of these are listed to below :

    Increased training at the beginning of a sports season, or return to activity after a prolonged break.
    Change in training surface such as the switch from outdoor summer/fall activities to indoor winter activities on hard floors/courts.
    Excessive or prolonged pronation of the foot while walking and/or running.
    Inadequate arch support in shoes, sneakers and other footwear which do not compensate for a tendency to over pronate the foot (roll it excessively inward onto the arch).
    Poor or warn-out footwear.
    Weak muscles of the lower leg
    Lack of flexibility in the lower leg.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • The best treatment for the pain associated with shin splints is rest for 5-7 days, ice and over the counter anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen. If rest is not a feasible option then activity modification can be the next best thing.

    Activities that involve high impact or jumping should be avoided, low or no impact activities are best.
    Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important.
    Shoe inserts (orthotics) such as an athletic type arch support is usually necessary.
    Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses some of the biomechanical problems discussed above and reduce pain.
    Stretching and strengthening exercises are done twice a day.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • **** DO NOT use a compression wrap on the shin for this type of pain because the problem is usually associated with too much compression in the area already. By wrapping the shin with tape or a compression wrap you increase the pressure on the muscles and supporting structures and tissues, increasing the pressure in the compartments of the lower leg region. This action could actually do more harm than good!!

    No matter what the cause of your “shin splint” type pain DO NOT delay treatment of this condition. It rarely goes away without addressing the cause.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • OK... hope that helps!! The most important thing to do here is to make sure your shoes have the correct arch support... it's really the key!! I say that from both personal and professional experience. I had this once and it comes back if I don't have good shoes with proper arch support. I have flat feet, but MUST add arch support to all my shoes and sneakers. You DO NOT have to be an athlete to get this!! As always if you have any doubts, concerns or this doesn't help please see your doc!! Good luck ;o)


    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • There is a nerve that runs down the inside of the leg from the pelvis. Cysts in the vagina, and even UTI's can activate that.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • Would the pain of a shin splint be felt more on the inside of the muscle, like against the bone? The pain I am having is more on the outside of the muscle not the inside. Its almost like its on my skin, or nerves or veins or something like that.

    Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • "shin splint" pain can be felt along the bone... like where the muscle attaches to the bone... quite often it's being referred thru the membrane that holds your two lower leg bones "together". It's often in teh place where it seems you don't have muscle. But, it can be different for everyone. Best to see your doc to rule out a vein or nerve issue if your gut says that's is what it is!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • BTW, I always get that nerve activated when I am fighting a UTI. I also used to get it with Bartholin cyst. ANything in the pelvic area. try some ibuprophen.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

  • Thank you, I think I will probably set up an appointment just to make sure its not something serious, especially since it seems to be getting worse rather then better.

    Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.