so i'm watching what not to wear and there is a girl with dread locks past her butt... I was wondering if people thathave dreads ever wash their hair?

I know in order to get the dreads your hair has to be dirty but if they don't wash their hair.. wouldn't it get really smelly? LOL

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Ick, I saw that episode! Everyone I've met with dreadlocks has had a definite smell, ew. I'm sure some people don't, but not any I've met! It's a big Jamaican thing, and my Jamaican relatives (well, sort of relatives) don't use soap, so...ick!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My friend did her hair in dread locks and it was scary looking on her, got more horrifying when she said she hadn't washer her hair in months.
    Anonymous

• okay so they just cut them off and there was dust and just nastyness in them UGH i wanted to barf. thats sick LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My friend had long dreadlocs and she did wash and maintain cleaniness.Its very time consuming but peopledo keep their hair/scalp clean.

Maybe this person you are seeing is just dirty or has chosen not to maintain cleaniness

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I think it's just in the beginning that you can't wash them. You have to put oily junk in them and twist to make them lock. I have a friend who has them and he keeps them clean.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Ewww when I was in HS a kid had dreads ....and he had cockroaches in his hair! That is nasty. It's one thing to get lice here and there in school but roaches???
    Anonymous

• Okay, dreads takes a long time, and youhave to use alot of grease. But you can wash it and maintain it! If its dirty then its cause that individual does not know how to maintian it and chooses to be dirty! BTW-- I dont have dreads, I have a perm.
    tropikanagirl

Answer by tropikanagirl at 2:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I remember that episode. I was grossed out too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You can absolutely wash your hair with dreads... even in the beginning.... you just cant COMB your your hair... the process of "locking" your hair does not give you license to be unhygienic (and I would venture to say that most people with dreads are not.) There are even salons and stylists that specialize in the process and yes they wash their clients' hair.
    Dara.M

Answer by Dara.M at 11:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You can wash your hair.It actually makes the hair grow faster when you braid out the hair.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2008