What is an acceptable curfew?

My dh and I have 5 kids and are wondering how best to set a curfew for them. We have three girls 12,13,14 and two boys 13, and 15. Should they all have the same curfew or different? Dh said he was more inclined to be more lenient with the boys and let them stay out later, but geez how fair is that? I don't want there to be bickering back and forth on this issue with the kids either. Also what are some consenquences for breaking curfew? What has worked for you?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• no... not different cerfews for sexes however ages. the old they get go up maybe a half hour til you get to midnight. I think at 12,13,14 should be 10, 15 should be 10:30 and then 16 11:00 17, 11:30 And 18 midnight, or none.

I'm 19 and thats how it was with me and it worked good, i hated having to be home earlier than my other friends, however looking back i know my parents just wanted to make sure i was safe and it was in my best interest!! No kids need to be out after midnight. But if they don't even have a license they should be out past 10:30 thats my opinion.

WIth some exceptions of course. if they are out with a church youth group or something.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It all depends on where they are going and who they are with. Since they are still young I can't imagine why they would be out without a parent past 10pm. When my oldest was old enough to go out we set a curfew by 10pm. Our state has a curfew law for those under 17yrs old and it's 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends so they couldn't fuss with us because it was the law.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my son is fourteen his is ten (he's a tad irresponsible) my daughters is sixteen hers is eleven unless she has something special going on like she went to homecoming and i let her stay out til twelve cuz after the dance it ended at ten they all went out to eat.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Check your laws in your area. I know here, for anyone under 18 everyone has to be inside by 1030pm per the curfew law.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It does depend on where they are going & who they are with. Kids r starting to have sex, party, drink, & doing drugs at earlier ages these days so dont think that just because they r young they arent going to test boundaries. Here r my guide lines,they wont be able 2 go out until they r 15. At 15 their curfew is 10 at age16 it'll b 10:30 & at 17 curfew will b 11 & at 18 it'll b 11:30 or 12. No matter what the age they still have to be in by 7 on weeknights. Go by age & maturity level! But stay fair! You can never fully trust a teen! As much as a mother wants to believe that your kid tells you everything THEY DONT! Keep in touch with their friends’ parents & make sure stories stay strait. & a tip would also be dont let the kids know yall are talkin. If they break curfew (without calling with a good reason) ground them! For every 5 mins they are late is a week they cant go out! Hope this helps, good look!
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It all depends on how responsible the child is and their age. Maybe as they get older take off an hour or a half. If they're good and do their chores, let them stay out a little longer. If they get in trouble for some reason, make them come home earlier. I think that's fair.
    Also, it doesn't depend on if they are a boy or a girl. That's plain out sexist.
    Anonymous

• My curfew was 10pm until I graduated unless there was a particular activity that lasted a little later and my parents okayed it (Movie ended at 11...sports game would end later than that...something they were aware of). Knowing I was going to be stuck at home if I was so much as a minute late made 10pm seem very reasonable and it was one thing I never really pushed the limits on. I was always home by quarter til or so.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Different... unless they are hanging out together. I'd say 10 for the junior high and 11 for the high schoolers. Then when they hit bump it up to 1am. My mom tried putting my cerfew to early... and I would just never come home and all. I would let them know though that when they hit these certian ages their curfew will be later. It will give them something to look forward to and hopefully be more respectful of the curfew. But if they break curfews I'd threathen to take those later curfews away when they get older seeing as they can't figure the ones they have now.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2008