How do I stay off gov assistance, I have never ever had to be on it not sure how to get it but my job sucks now and so how do I prevent going on gove assistance?

This question is for the annoymous poster who asked why aren't there people asking questions on how to stay off gov assistance. So I'm asking you to help me with my situation. I have been in the car industry for 20 years I have never been on assistance for anything, but today I am 2 mortgage payments behind on my main mortgage and one payment behind on my second mortgage. My paychecks are half of what they used to be and I doubt I qualify for any assistance anyways but just for the heck of it how would some of you handle how to stay off gov assistance for anybodies situation not just mine?

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 1:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I should also clarify that there aren't any better jobs than this here and I am still greatful to even have a job, I am trying to sell my house to avoid foreclosure, but my credit is being ruined in the meantime. I can't get a second job because I already work 8am till 6pm and I am already paying $529 in daycare expenses so I can't afford to get a second minimum wage job and pay for daycare out of those meager wages. I have also sought consumer credit counsilling for my credit that is past due on and I am trying to mitigate my mortgage. Could I be doing more?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I knwo this question wasnt directed towards me, but here are a few tips. I hope they help a little. Try reading dave Ramsey's book Total Money Makeover...it can really help. Get rid of all unneccessary luxuries ie:internet, cell phone, or land line phone, cable, stop buying snacky type stuff. Make a meal plan and go shopping fo rhte week. Plan your meals aroudn whats on sale at the store. Look up Angel Food Ministries and see if they are in your area. we use them every month just about.

I hoep some of these tips work for you, they really helped us save money,.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 2:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My answer is exactly what Amy M just said! Get that book by Dave Ramsey and start making some changes right now in how you live, cut out things that aren't absolute necessities. Make a menu and shop only for what's on your list.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Have you considered furthering your education? You would be able to take night classes and qualify for a pell grant and student loans to help with living expenses then when done have a degree to get a better job. You can also let go of the house since you cant make the payments and find a place you can afford. I know its hard I have been in the situation myself but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Living beyond your means is only going to make things worse.

Answer by gemgem at 2:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would suggest looking into local agencies that might help you pay a morgage payment, or even utilities for the month, or a food bank, so you could move some money around. Have you looked into cheaper daycare options? I'm not sure what to tell you as far as staying off them, b/c right now my husband isn't making the bills, and I've been looking for a job for 4 months with no luck (being pregnant doesn't help either), so we are actually going to give in and get some gov't help, just to keep us afloat until I can actually get a job and we can get back up on our feet. I hope it's not too long, b/c boy do I HATE working with the messed up system.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would have to quit my job entirely to qualify for any gov assistance, and we have tried other options for babysitting all which were horrible disasters. My point with this question was directed to the sarcasm in the other question. This country is in a whirlwind of pooppoo and for those on assistance it's not going to get any better any sooner and for those like myself unless you are flat out on your butt and jobless you don't get gov assistance and when you are it is so minimal that it makes it hard to do anything. Now I am trying to dig myself out of the hole I am in and I am a no excuses kindof girl, does that mean I won't have crappy credit coming out, heck no my credit will be shot but I don't think that people are trying to live on the government right now they are just trying to make ends meet so why are we dogging them out?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Besides becoming a porn star, I hear they have great benefits, when we had two house payments (my husband was relocated and I was pregnant and we were responsible parents that didn't want our children to switch schools too many times) we called the mortgage company and negotiated a short sale (selling the house for less than it is worth and the mortgage company writes off the loss on their taxes) and then we dropped the price of our house by the negotiated amount $50,000 and then we were out of it with no derogatory credit.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• gemgem, I appreciate what you are saying, I want to take night classes but getting off at 6 and having 2 teenagers in the house and a baby makes that difficult. I am instead trying to weather the storm and if they fire me I will collect unemployment and I will try to get a little business going. I am in survival mode as I am sure a lot of folks are. I appreciate your suggestions if I get my biz going I am going to consider going back to school very soon.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Fiveofakind2, with my a&& as big as it is now and all of the cellulite I could play in one of those disgusting porn movies at best, ha ha. No if we don't sell the house we are going to negotiate the short sale for sure.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Amy_M, thanks for that book I will definetly get that, we are doing the menu and grocery shopping thing already when you have teenagers you about have to, but I'd like to see the book to see what else I cut out.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2008