How can I finally decide on a baby name?

I've been trying to choose one since I got my BFP. I'm hoping for a boy so I'm mostly focusing on boy names, until we find out the gender at the ultrasound next month. But every time I find one I think is perfect, either I find out it's way too popular, it can be a girls name too, DH dosn't like it, or there's something about it that makes me not like it anymore. How do you finally know when you have the right name. DH named the first two, even though I still don't like DD2's name. Then I had a list of names for DD3 and we argued about them for an hour after her birth, since DH didn't like the ones I really liked so I finally just settled. And I still don't know if we made the right choice, since it's so popular. I want the name to feel right this time. Please help!

mommyem

Asked by mommyem at 1:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, I think this one is your turn! Put your foot down and tell him that if you find one you really like, you're sticking with it!
    arnoldgirls

Answer by arnoldgirls at 2:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I didn't know my son's name was right until he was about 6 months old. lol! His first name was selected after a basketball player. His last name was also similar to mine, so I knew the first and last name would click. His middle name means 'my angel' which, of course, he is :) Pick a name that has a special meaning to you. It does not matter if it is popular or not. When people meet your child they are not going to say "oh, heard that before". They are most probably say "she's so cute" et al.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 3:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Look at him or her when he or she is born and it will pop in your head!
    fairybrokenwing

Answer by fairybrokenwing at 4:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I know this sounds crazy, but we named our son a totally different name than what we were originally thinking. The day before I was to be induced, I went to a bookstore and bought our baby a baby book. My husband opened the front of the book to look at it, and said his name is going to be Joshua Henry. I went along with it, and when he was born, he did look like a Joshua Henry. 7 months after Joshua was born, his grandfather passed away, who he was named after. I firmly believe that he was to be named after his grandad to honor his passing and to carry on that family name. My husband said that God showed him what to name him, and I agree....
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 5:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Well this time, it should be ALL YOU!!!! Once you find out the sex, you will still have 4 mos to choose. Try to narrow it to 2 names and after the abby is born, see what name comes to mind first. But DO NOT let him get you away from the name that you like. WE picked DD1 name together. So for the twins, we each picked a name on our own.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would try to reach a compromise, since that seems the most fair.  Have you tried praying with him to try to figure out what the name should be?

degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2008