Am I the only one that hates when the OBGYN has to check you down there but also having the nurse there?

I mean I know they have to be there (I have a male OBGYN) I am 36 weeks and I think he is going to check me down there (I heard they do it at 36 weeks)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• they will do it every week it didnt bother me it bothered me when the nurses in the hospital do it cause it hurts really bad. im just glad my dr has long fingers.
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Vaginal exams are NOT NEEDED at all in a healthy low risk pregnancy and you have the right to refuse them at any time.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i was always excited cause i got to find out if i wasmaking any progress..i would have hated if it was JUST the dr in the room and not a nurse. that comforted me knowing there was another person there.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yes they start again every week at 36 weeks. I think they have someone there because he is male and just looking out for you.

Anonymous

• Never had a nurse in the same room as the OB is in.
    When i had appointments at the OB then i went to her office and ultrasound room ect with her alone. Same with the male OB i had a few years ago.

Not sure why a nurse has to be in there.

Well different country, different ways i guess.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well whether it be a male or female, someone has to be in the room with them while doing a vaginal exam. i had a female obgyn and even she had to wait. now if my dh was with me, i told her to just go ahead, and she was allowed because technically someone was there with her. as for 36 weeks, you doctor may do it, every doctor is different. for my son, they didn't check me until i was 39 weeks, and then with my daughter, they didn't check me until i was 38 weeks, and that's only because i asked her to check. she said they normally wait until 39 weeks. GL though and congrats with the future little one!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Some start at 36 weeks, some don't. I had a much easier time with it when it was done by my doctor rather than a nurse, for some reason. And for mine, it was always just the doctor there...I prefer it that way. When I had a vaginal ultrasound with a male tech, they brought a female in the room, but for all of the other exams it was just me and my male doctor. I could have requested having someone else there, but I don't think I would have been as comfortable!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Why are vaginal exams NOT NEEDED (navy-wife)? How do they check to see if you're dilated?? isn't it bad to begin pushing if not dilated enough? Just curious.
    Anonymous

• mrobertson
    its because male ob's cant be alone like that with females while having anything to do with "private parts" Its just kinda protecting the patient
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't mind but I don't like it when she stands right behind him like to look at my stuff. I know she needs to be assissting him if he needs her but a pap smear I doubt. I just take a deep breath and look at the ceiling while he does what he has to do and he'll ask question just ease the tension I guess. Before you know it it is over with.
    Anonymous