How do I get my daughter more comfortable to smile when trying to take professional portraits or pictures with Santa??? HELP!!

I took my daughter to the Portrait studio to take her milestone 1yr old picture. It was well planned. The appointment was made after naptime,and right after mealtime, but as soon as we walked into the studio and put her in front of the camera, she started crying and screaming hysterically. Not only did this happen then, but also while trying to take pictures with Santa. We hung around so she could get familiar with him. She was happy. Well rested. Full. She was waving at Santa and smiling...until we put her on his lap....then she freaked out. We left the mall with no Santa pics :( I would have even paid for some cute crying Santa pics, but she was squirming so much the pictures were not clear.Help!!

IzabellasMom909

Asked by IzabellasMom909 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's just the age! My daughter was the BEST picture taker before her first birthday. And then she turned 1. All professional pics of her from age 1 until her 2nd birthday involve tears. Lots of them. Big crocodile tears. And Santa- forget about it. At her second birthday, she's back to posing happily. It's just the age- and there really isn't much you can do. The only thing I could do to get her to smile (or not cry anyway) was to dance around like a fool and jump up and yell PEEKABOO!! Pictures were quite a work out for me. So...put on your workout clothes and give it a try!
    SHe is now almost 3- pictures are still great. But still Santa is a no go. Just the sight of him sends her into dramatic tears. SOme kids are just afraid of Santa. (I mean, when else would you let some big, bearded stranger in red velvet hold your kid????) Just try to reassure her- but don't force her. She'll get over it as she gets older.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Maybe she was scared of Santa or strangers even. My daughter hated the Easter bunny! There will be other oppertunities as she gets older.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Santa will be better next year, for sure.

As for professional portraits - why not just take them yourself?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• In both situations, take her in several times in the days before and just let her play. Most stuidos that do lots of kids won't mind. Some, like The Picture People, even have a play area. Let her get comfortable with the place over several days then come back for the real appointment.

My daughter was very excited to see Santa this year. But as soon as she saw him, she started saying "NO". We left and I took her back the next morning. There was no one in line so she was able to just run in and out of Santa's house. We stayed for about 10 mintues. We went back the next morning and again there was no line. She talked to Santa and even gave him a high-five but wouldn't sit in his lap. The next morning, she was asking me to take her to see Santa. She ran right over to him and climbed up into his lap. She just had to get comfortable with the new situation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Maybe have another child present, try to get the attention of theh other child to get them to smile an d then she might think its to get her to smile and she will smile.
    sylviessweeties

Answer by sylviessweeties at 8:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009