what to do for diaper rash that is raw from acid in the poop

Avasmommy115

Asked by Avasmommy115 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• VASELINE!! I'm not sure that is the correct spelling but I swear by that. Put in on every diaper change and you should see a difference soon. Good Luck When all else fails two or 3 baths a day helps and leaving a diaper off whenever you can helps too.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I used Desitin. It worked pretty well for my baby.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• A&D ointment, or ask your doctor for the scrip cream that helps heal the sores.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Do NOT use any diaper wipes until he is healed. Use plain water and a washcloth or use Cetaphil skin cleanser (face care aisle of any store).
    Let the skin air dry for 5 minutes after cleaning or use a blow dryer on 'No-heat'.
    If it's a yeast or bacterial infection, put a thin layer of the mecication the doctor gives you.
    Put a THICK layer of Desitin on top. Use the Desitin in the purple and white box or jar. Or use 100% zinc oxide from the first-aid aisle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• when mine had open sores like that the ONLY thing that helps was Dr. Smiths Diaper ointment. Everything else would sting and make them scream like crazy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Butt Paste, I swear by that stuff. Like others have said, stay away from baby wipes, let their bottom soak in the tub and try to leave the diaper off as much a possible.
    Anonymous

• Any type of ointment but it needs to be the icky gressy stuff as that will protect hi bottom. A&D ointment is really good
    goofy_Kristy

Answer by goofy_Kristy at 2:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• This would happen to my son all of the time before we found out he was lactose intolerant. I tried EVERYTHING. Vaseline, desitin, balmex, burts bee's, Dr. Smiths, Butt paste, and A&D. The butt paste and a&d used to work really well, but after awhile it just didnt. I was even prescribed nyastin and it didnt work. It really was frustrating. I know its hard and messes can happen but let alot of air get on the butt, and dont use wipes. I give my son a bath twice a day and he would scream... Poor thing. Goodluck. I know how it feels.
    Anonymous

• The rash is irritated by moisture in the diaper, not acid. Allow 'breathing time' to let the bottom dry off. Make sure the diapers are changed regularly so baby can be as dry as possible.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 3:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I use Butt Paste for minor rashes... Haven't had a severe one yet but I have several friends who swear by a homemade solution of mixing aquaphor lotion and maalox together to make a paste.. They say it will clear it up in a day... Good Luck!
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 3:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2008