Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big Decision... HELP!

Okay.. I had my doctors appointment today.. And he gave me the option of being induced next week or waiting until the 8th of January to see if she comes naturally. I don't know what to do. I've talked to a few people and they've said to go for it, and only one that said I should wait. The weather where I live is supposed to start getting bad this week, and I don't want to have to have the hazard of the weather on the way to the hospital, since its 30 miles from where I live. My husband said he would like me to because it would be safer, we would know when she was coming. And to be honest I agree with him, I'm leaning towards doing it.. I'm just nervous.. This is my first baby and I don't know what I should do.. I'm going to be 39 weeks on Christmas Eve, I'm almost 2cm dilated and still 50% effaced. Input would be great.


Asked by Poopie08 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I would do it. I wish mine was scheduled. But than if I did have a scheduled one I would probably want a surprise one. It did suck though because my water broke at home and I was all by myself. I was so scared.

    Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • go for it

    Answer by symle456 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • I was scheduled to be induced and ended up going into labor on my own 3 hours before they were going to induce me, they said that happens a lot I was 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced.. by the time I got to the hospital I was 5 cm dilated. you could at least schedule it... I remember the first time my doc asked me I said no I don't think so I want to wait and see if she will come on her own, then the next week I was ALL for it lol.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • I wouldn't do it, but I'm against any kind of unecessary medical intervention. I went five days overdue and was terrified of being induced. My labor started on it's own, but they ended up having to give me Pitocin to keep things moving along. I also had to get an epidural, which I really hated doing...but that's just me! Only you can decide what's best for you and your baby...

    Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • I would do it. That way there were no surprises. I live an hour from the hospital and I have kids that I would have to make arrangements for so, I prefer no surprises. But, I am being induced @ 37 weeks.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • I was induced at 38 weeks with my first from preeclampsia... my 2nd I was scheduled to be induced at 38 weeks from preeclampsia again.. but i went into labor on my own 1 day before I was scheduled. I would never chose to be induced. I would only be induced if doc said so if you were a high risk preggy. But the weather and all that other stuff I would just put into God's hands! This is your first so you may even go past 40 weeks... which is common with first preggy's. I know you are really stressed right now.... and excited! You will make the right decision! I will never forget the pain from being induced.. pitocin is HORRIBLE! But I did natural labor too! Congrats!!! You will be a mommy before you know it!

    Answer by JanTay at 3:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • Ohh yea.. I live 45 min from the hospital. Once my water broke at home I got a shower and made it to the hospital just fine! I was 3cm and 50% for 2 weeks before my water broke!

    Answer by JanTay at 3:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • the best for you and your baby is to wait for it to come naturally. when my mom was pregnant with my brother she was almost 2 weeks late and she was scheduled to be induced on a friday, but she went into labor on the wednesday before. most of the time labor is around 14 hours, i live an hour away from my hospital and my dr. has people coming 2 hours away to deliver at the same hospital, and with over 20 years of delivery behind her, she has never had anyone deliver on the way to the hospital, even with horrific traffic.

    Answer by tegansnowflake at 4:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • do you what you are comfortable with...if you feel good about being induced go for it...if the Dr. feels its safe for you and the baby...I do not see any problem with it....

    Answer by surpriseat41 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008