How to keep your kids interested during the X-mas holidays?

How and when to make time to keep the studying going now that the x-mas holidays are here so when the kids go back they wouldn't have to struggle.
They are supposed to read once a day for 20 min... but I can't seem to get into it because I can just hear them oh mom do we have to (moaning and the groaning) I don't want to hear it sometimes I give in sometimes I don't but I myself need to keep on a straight head....Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know what you mean, my son brought home a packet of 22 worksheets that he's supposed to do over the holidays. I was like "are they nuts?" I just sat down with him, and said< "Ok, there's this many days til Christmas. Let's divide the 22 sheets by those days, and we get x sheets per day." So, we sit down at 10am each morning, and do that set # of sheets. He's not thrilled, but it's like I told him: It's only a set #, and once they're done, they're done for the day, and once they're all done, then he gets the rest of break to chill. I also remind him that the longer he whines and complains, the longer it takes to get done, when he could just do it and move on to the fun things he's whining and complaining about wanting to do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Take a trip to the library and get books on the holidays. Make it something fun that's about what is going on now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I dont make my kids do any school work on break. Im in college myself and am so thankful to have the time off so I can rest my brain.

Answer by gemgem at 3:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Oh, let me add that Christmas Eve was not included in our little countdown. He'll be done with his sheets tomorrow. That way he gets to really enjoy the holiday.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Let them be...let them rest and play. Two weeks is'nt going to turn their brains to mush. My kids have always done great, recharged and ready for the next semester after holidays break.
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 5:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have a stack of Christmas-related books that get put away every year along with the decorations. When we pull it all out, it seems new again to them. That makes them want to sit and read. The 8 year-old reads to her brother, who is 5 and just beginning to sound out some words.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 5:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008