Suggestions for a focal point during labor?

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and packing my hospital bag, and I keep hearing about focal points. My sister says she thought it was stupid when she was in labor, but it might work for me. What are some ideas for what to have for a focal point?

tegansnowflake

Asked by tegansnowflake at 4:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I tried the focal point thing and it didnt work lol. If you want to give it a try though you can try something like a ceramic figure or a frame with a picture of your babys ultrasound.

Answer by gemgem at 4:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I was going to use this beautiful patchwork pillow my husband made for me.... but I ended up using my husband! I just looked into his face. It worked great. He was so awesome and so involved in labor.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well my parents are deceased, so I'd like to use their pictures as my focal point
    prmami2b

Answer by prmami2b at 4:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I brought a picture of my cats (my first two babies) with me, lol. I never ended up using it, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The birth center I had my son at had beautiful wood floors. I found an interesting knot and stared it during contractions. I didn't even think about it until one of the assistants came in and stood on it and I lost my focus.
    It really does work, just be focused before the contraction hits. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• umm i wish i had one but wonder if i would of used it... i basically had my doc, mom, n husband as my focal pointe telling me what to do because i seriously didnt know what to do at the time and they were helping me all throughout the process
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 3:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2008