Pre-eclampsia, effacement, and bedrest.....Help!

I went in for a routine 37 wk check-up, and they did a pelvic and told me I am dilated to 1, 75% effaced, and when they took my BP, they immediately told me they were gonna admit me for a little while for observation. They wouldn't tell me what my BP was, but before they discharged me, I looked at the monitor and it was 155/91. So I am on bedrest indefinitely and have to go back on Friday for a check-up and more observation. They said I'm high risk for Pre-E but don't have it as of now. Help! What does all this mean? They tried explaining it to me but I didn't understand their terms!
But most of all....
What does effaced mean?
What is pre-eclampsia?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 4:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have pre-eclampsia as well. Pre-eclampsia is a manageable condition that has the possibility of developing in to eclampsia, which is life-threatening to mother and baby. Pre-eclampsia is characterized by protein in the urine, and high blood pressure, protein in the urine indicates a problem with the kidneys, because your kidneys are supposed to be filtering all of that out. Eclampsia is the main reason you are under such supervision, because it is such a serious condition. Effacement is good! You will probably be induced so you want your cervix as effaced (thinned) and dilated (opened) as possible so that the induction will be easier on you.

The bottom line is, you have to educate yourself, you have to be your own advocate! Look at the Wikipedia articles on these subjects, and google them! I would highly recommend looking in to how to make your induction as comfortable and safe for you as possible as well.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My friend had that and ended up having her babies earlier then planned. Basically it means just what they said. Youre at risk and its probably because your BP is high. Theyll keep close tabs on you and I am sure when they discharged you sent you with information of what to watch out for? headaches? Etc? If you have anything on that list its very important to hussle back to the ER because your life and the babies can be at risk. Just take it easy, watch for the things they told you to, and be prepared for the baby to come any minute.

Answer by gemgem at 4:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i forget what efaced means but you can goggle both of them and find out i do know if you get the pre eclamosia you will have to have a c-section good luck i hope everything turns out good for you and the baby
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I am also on 'rest' for possible pre-eclampsia. I'm 34 weeks. I have protein in my urine and my BP has been high. About 10% of pregnancies get it. The cure for it is easy - deliver the baby and all problems go away. You do not have to have a c-section for pre-eclampsia. They can induce you, and hopefully that will take. Go to the hospital if you start to see spots, have severe headaches or a sharp pain in your ribs (not the baby)... these are warning signs for your blood pressure spiking. Effacement is your cervix thinning - when you're getting ready to have the baby your cervix thins, this is called effacement.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• effacement means your cervix is thinning and starting to dilate.
    Did you have protein in your urine?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You might just have PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension), in which case you won't need as much bed rest, and you won't need an induction unless things get wildly out of hand. If that's the case you are one lucky girl, PIH is much less common than pre-e. Still, you need to educate yourself. This is your baby, and you are the one delivering your child, not the doctor or midwife, you! It is your responsibility to inform yourself as much as possible.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with lillys_mommy09.. educate yourself. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Thanks for all this info, guys!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008