How to I clean burners with burnt on food?

So we live in a appartment and the people who lived here before us were definitly not deep cleaners and the burners got caked on burnt stuff on them. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that nasty looking stuff off. Its the ones that circle around and you pull them out and they have the metal plate/cup deals under them.

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 4:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• If you are talking about the coils, then I read that you should wipe them down with a cloth moistened with mild dish soap and water. Never submerge them. If that doesn't work a paste of baking soda and water used for a gentle scrub, or even letting the paste sit on the coil for about 15 minutes. Rinse the coil well with water dampened cloth. If you are talking about the drip pans, probably the suggestion about replacing them is the way to go. Since I got my new stove and know how grubby the drip pans get, I clean them every time I wipe the stovetop, and if the coils have food on them, I wipe them as soon as they cool down.

Answer by Bmat at 4:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Its been my exp even when you clean them they still look gross. I would go to walmart or any place like that and get replacements. You can put the ones that came with the apartment away and when you move out put them back.

Answer by gemgem at 4:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• PP has a great idea. If you can't find the right ones at WalMart, try Home Depot or Sears.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008