My 3 year old still acts like a baby sometimes!

My 3 year old girl has always been ahead of the curve with most everything but I can't seem to get out of the fit throwing stage. If I get on to her, she screams to the top of her lung and most the time not have a tear in her eyes. And sometimes she will go to her room and start kicking the walls. I get outraged and its hard to hold my composure because I don't feel like a 3 year old should act like this! I dont coddle her or feel bad about getting on to her. I feel like i do everything I can to be a good mom but when my daughter backtalks me and shows her butt I feel like I am doing something wrong. I guess what I'm asking is, is this normal for a 3 year old to still be doing and how can I get her to stop?

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It all depends on how you discipline her. And I found that the more responsibilty that you give them, the better they seem to act.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Wow I dont know. Have you talked to your pediatrician about it? My 3.5 yr old doesnt act that way. Dont get me wrong she does have her moments which I think they all do. My grandson on the other hand is pretty much like youre describing your dd. He just turned 2. His pediatrician recommended him for screening of some sort. My dd is apprehensive about it but he hits her, kicks her, says no, throws things etc. Maybe you can ask your dds dr what you can do when she does these things and what they recommend?

Answer by gemgem at 4:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• LOL, yep it is normal. Theres the terrible 2's, the trying 3's and the fearsome 4's.You have to be consistant with whatever you do and she will finalllllllllly do the right thing. It might take a little while, but, it will happen. Just don't give up...
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When my daughter was 3, I went out and bought a timer. She learned all about time outs. When she acted like that, I would just pick her up and carry her to her room and turn on the timer. The first few times she screamed and kicked and cried, but she learned that she just needed to do the time and she could come back out and play (after apologizing of course). One minute of time out for every year old they are.....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I think it is pretty normal. All kids act and re-act differently. I have one head banger/hissy fit thrower, one kiss-butt and one that we can reason with (my 3 yr old.) They all react And really, 3 isn't so far removed from a baby. Encourage the use of words and I like time-outs, though they don't work for every child. I think there were days that my oldest spent 1/2 the day in time out because he has no tolerance for frustration - and still doesn't at nearly 11. I think toddlers and preschoolers are our practice for tweens and teens. Gotta love the eye rolling, foot stomping, "you are so mean!" attitudes that make me yearn for being able to pick the child up and put it in a corner.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2008