Belly Time

I have a 3 almost 4month old boy. The doc told me to put him on his belly more cuz the back of his head is getting flat and he said that hes supose to be like pushing him self up. Problem is my son HATES beeing on his belly..he just starts to cry right away! And all he does is lift his head a lil bit! The doc said you have to put him on his belly more so he starts to learn to crawl. What should I do here?!

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you get on yours? He might like it if you are down there with him... Also get something that lights up to distract him...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• you need to get another doc ;)

you do NOT HAVE TO put your baby on the belly. especially not if your boy doesnt like it.
    I dont know how much your little boy is moving around already (when he is asleep). if he doesnt move that much then you could get one of those pillow rolls... not sure what exactly they are called. but u put those pillows behind the baby and infront of the belly... so he wont be able to move.

lay him on his side (left or right). and switch sides every night.

our daughter was laying on her back for a long time too, but she had her head always turned to the left and right. so the back of her head didnt turn out being flat. its shaped perfect. our daughter started to crawl AFTER she started walking ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The flat-head syndrome is a pretty serious thing. Babies that develop this usually need to wear a helmet to correct the problem, some even need surgery!

As for a way to get in more tummy time, do it gradually. My guy isn't a huge fan of it either, so several times a day we roll him onto his belly and lay next to him. Even just a couple minutes there will help build up a tolerance! The best way to get him to like it, though? Lay him on his belly ON you. He can see your face and feel all the movement in your body. You can start by just holding him upright against you, and then laying down (I think all of us Mommies could use some more time to lay down, right?). My guy is happy on his tummy for longer periods of time now, but still gets mad about it. It's a lot better than it was, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Oh, and it's not so much about the crawling thing, it's about building neck strength and the ability to get their head out of sticky situations (like being pressed up against a non-breathable surface). :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• They all hate it in the beginning hon. You just gotta make them do it. Just for a few minutes at a time until they start liking it better. A good rule of thumb is to put him on his tummy for a few minutes after every diaper change. That's about how often it should be done. Evenutaly when he starts rolling over he'll want to be on his tummy anyway.

Also, it's not just about muscle building and flat heads, NOT having tummy time can affect developmental things. (Like speech) I kid you not! I know a childrens developmental specialist who works in special ed. She says she sees so many kids with problems and comes to find out by talking to parents that they never got tummy time. Do it...fussy or not!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Just keep doing it, a little more each day.

They need tummy time to build their upper body muscles. It's a problem which has developed since the beginning of the whole "back to sleep" thing....flat head, weaker upper body, the need for tummy time.

I'm not sure about lack of tummy time affecting developmental things like speech. I can see a delay in motor skills, but I have two with speech delays (one moderate and one severe) who spent TONS of time on their bellies (tummy sleepers)....interesting theory....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have had problems with my son too with this. He is almost 5 months. I found out that he likes the christmas tree lights or the t.v. I lay him on his tummy facing these straight on so he lifts his head pretty high. Also I sometimes help support him with one hand under his chest for a little bit then let go and see what he does. Just make sure he is not tired or hungry when you try tummy time. It will get better.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Also if you have a bumbo chair or saucer he can sit in that helps strengthen his neck and relieves pressure from the back of his head.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 6:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Tummy time is important in developing the curve in a baby's neck in addition to building strength in the neck muscles. It's absolutely necessary to give your baby tummy time. Try buying a tummy time mat that has toys attached to make it interesting for him and get down there with him. Do it for just a couple minutes at first and gradually build up the length of time. Even if he doesn't like it at first it's perfectly fine and safe for him to be on his belly for a little bit of time. I'm sure he'll get used to it and stop after just a few days. Just remember that it's very important for his development and try to distract him with other things while he's on his tummy.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Lila hated it too. I just tried to put her on her belly for as long as she would tolerate it. I'd never let her cry for more than a minute or two.

If your baby's head is getting flat maybe your baby could spend some more time upright on your lap or laying on his side like a pp said.
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008