Has anyone else had an ultrasound where the baby's kidneys were dilated?

I'm having a girl, and the ultrasound tech. said it's pretty common (more so in boys) and that it usually clears itself up right after the baby's born. I'm due Jan. 20th and she said to tell the pediatrician and he'll do an ultrasound to check to see if its cleared up. Has anyone else went to or knows someone who went through this? I don't know what to expect.

tegansnowflake

Asked by tegansnowflake at 4:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, my daughter had her kidneys dilated when I as around 26 weeks. They went down by the time I had my third trimester ultrasound. It's nothing to worry about, really. They might suggest a few tests be done after she is born to see if she needs preventative antibiotics, but you should research these tests thoroughly before consenting to any of them. The tests sound very unpleasant for the baby. Her kidneys will most likely go down as my little girls did, maybe she just was holding in her pee because she was being watched : ).
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• well i'm 36 weeks and they are still dialated (one at 7 and one at 9) and they aren't gonna do any more while i'm pregnant
    tegansnowflake

Answer by tegansnowflake at 9:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• one of my friends is kind of going through this rigth now. but her sons kidneys are too large but then the next month they were fine no one is bigger thant he other by too much. they are just keeping an eye on it and praying everything will be ok but it scary and worrysome when its actually happening to you. lots of friends along with support help especially fom the father
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 3:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2008