Do you buy your kids what they NEED or what they WANT for Christmas?

In NEED, I mean things like clothes, shoes, underwear, socks, etc. as opposed to WANT like video games, toys, etc. If you buy what they NEED, do you feel guilty like you are "ripping them off" and they are disappointed?

goinginsane1

Asked by goinginsane1 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I try to do both... Like this year we got the boys 5 toys, 3 outfits, 3 hoodies... So they will have the same amount of gifts... Cause you know THEY COUNT!!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I buy things they want. I don't think its fair to wrap up things they need and call it a present when I'd be buying it for them anyway. Its my job to make sure they have things they need. The only exception to that is that they get a new pair of Christmas PJs every year.

Now, when they're teens things will be a bit different. Sure, they might NEED a winter jacket, but they don't NEED a brand name expensive one, so it can be considered a gift.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• A little of both.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i buy them what they want i agree with ginger
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Our daughter is only 17months old. So we bought her what -we- want. she doesnt really need all of that stuff. because she arleady has everything she could possibly need. ;)

i think at christmas they except something they WANT. you are the parent and you are suppose to get them cloth anyway. So why not just getting a 1 or 2 gifts less at christmas and buy cloth for it before or after christmas.

i dont like the idea of giving my own child cloth for christmas. They want toys ect. Of course when our daughter is old enough and says: "wooah mommy, daddy... i saw that awesome dress. i want that for christmas".. of course then she will get cloth for christmas. hehe ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I try to buy my son a little bit of both. You should never feel like you are ripping them off when you get them something that they need cause that is more important, but my son is only two so he doesn't really understand that yet. But my mom use to just get us what we needed instead of what we wanted, we were sad sometimes but we understood that if we didn't get stuff that we wanted on x-mas we got that stuff on our birthdays if she could get it.
    Anonymous

• We do both but I would say the majority of the gifts are things they want.
    RyAnn27

Answer by RyAnn27 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my 2 kids are lucky enough to have their grandparents, we don't buy them anything they need because they get it all from them. For christmas we get to buy them what they want because they already have what they need, although this year I did get my 8yr old son two metallica shirts, which I know he will LOVE!!
    determind

Answer by determind at 4:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Both. I always buy what they want if it's appropriate and affordable. It's their wish list. I always buy what they need, like clothes, hairbands, flavored chapsticks, etc. I also like to buy things that I will end up spending money on anyway like movie tickets, boots, pajamas etc. My husband never got what he wanted, he got what he needed and it stunk. He still does. His mother buys him shirts and they often come in the wrong size. What's with that?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have always given both and there are always tons of gifts under the tree, they love it! I even give things like new fuzzy socks or cute undies... sure they need them but not really ...they already have some and want cute new ones. its all fun. They get the stuff they want too...
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 4:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008