crib sleeping

My son is 3almost 4months old. And he sleeps with me in the bed n my boyfriend has to sleep on the couch! I hate it! lol but its my fault..see we're at my moms right now...and when he was a newborn i accidentally fell asleep on my moms comfey couch! lol so he got used to being with me. And now EVERYTIME i go to put him down when he falls asleep he wakes up! I want to start to put him in his crib. Any advice or tricks so he'll learn to sleep in it?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would always put my son in his crib when he was sleepy but not fully asleep that way he got used to not being in my arms when falling asleep and learned to put himself to sleep. It might take your little one a few tries but I would keep with it. Even at naptime I wouldnt hold him, I put him in his crib when he is sleepy turn on his mobile and he may whine for a minute but will fall asleep on his own.

FYI my SIL did the whole Dh on the couch with her 1st child and 6 years and 4 kids later he is still on he couch!! BEWARE!! I would nip it in the butt now if I were you.
    lilmansmom13

Answer by lilmansmom13 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Start putting him in the crib when he's awake and happy, that will help get him used to the feel and the view from there. Then I'd start putting him in there for naps, then work your way up to nighttime sleeping. Take your time when you put him in there to sleep. I lay my son's body down but keep my hand behind his head for a little while, keeping my face close to him so he can still feel the warmth. Eventually I slide the hand out and just stay near his body...then eventually I can leave! There are times I could probably just drop (not literally!) him in there and go, but I'd rather not risk him waking! When he's more used to sleeping in there, then we'll switch it up. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Definately get the book "How to solve your childs sleep problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber. I got my 3 month old sleeping in her crib, thru the night in 3 days. She is now 5 months old and usually sleeps from 8pm to 8am. Now she only likes to sleep in her crib- if I even try to put her in bed with me, she will stay awake and play!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2008