Fruit flies

Ok, someone gave us a big crate of apples, and now we've had this explosion of those tiny fruit flies in our kitchen. I scrubbed my kitchen from top to bottom, got rid of the fruit and anything else they might be getting into, hung some of those fly ribbons from the ceiling, and waited. Usually this gets rid of them after a couple of days. This time they won't go away. I've searched and searched for anything they might be laying eggs on and can't find it. Does anyone know of another way besides Raid to get rid of them? My DD has asthma and spray inseticides really bother her, no matter how ventillated the room is. I heard a long time ago that if you put out a bowl of some sort of mixture (it was like water, vinegar, and dishwashing liquid or something) it attracts them to it and they drown. I can't remember it and can't seem to find it anywhere. I'd like to find something non-toxic to get rid of them. Help!

mamapotter

Asked by mamapotter at 4:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• We had a bad fruit fly problem one time too...my husband asked a pest control guy that he met in passing what to do, and he told him to put some red wine vinegar in the bottom of a cup (at least 1/4 inch, not too much though), then put some plastic wrap over the top of the cup and poke a few small holes in the top.
    We did it, and it worked for the most part. The flies were attracted to the vinegar and went into the holes, but couldn't get out, so they died in the cup...
    Anonymous

• Awesome. Hubby is stopping by the store on the way home, so I'll have him grab some. Thanks!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i read this in a magazine... fill a cup about half way full of some kind of sweet fruit juice, then get a coffee filter and poke a small hole in it ( small but not too small the flies need to be able to get in it) and then put it in the cup over the juice and the flies will go inside it and drown in the juice.. they wont be able to get out once they're in..
    UhLeeshUh

Answer by UhLeeshUh at 1:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2008