I need help! Ive had my 2 y/o in time out for an hour now, only asking that he is quiet for 2 minutes. He won't stop yelling, telling me no, and saying OW for no reason! What can I do??

My son will be 3 in March.. he got in trouble so I put him in time-out where he did nothing but yell and tell me no and that he "wanted down" (He's in his high chair since we have nothing better). I've told him over and over and over just to be quiet for two minutes (I even set a timer!!) and then he could get down, but he WILL NOT be quiet at all!! He's just sat there and cried, screamed, and yelled for an entire hour now!! I'm about to pull my hair out! I don't know what to do!! Oh, and he's yelling OW for no reason! He's not hurt! I want to walk away but I can't, I don't want him to fall out of his chair since he keeps standing up in it. He doesn't listen to me at all. HELP!

BeckNAiden06

Asked by BeckNAiden06 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh I forgot to say, after you cheat and put the timer for 1 min, 15-30 secs, whatever will help get you out of this battle without totally losing. Just have it ring, then you do the above, you ask him why he's in time out and/or repeat to him why, have say sorry, and then hug/forgive, cuddle and fall asleep. NOT to mention, congrats to both of you.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Sounds like he needs a nap! LOL

I don't know... I think he's a little young to really comprehend the whoel "timeout" thing. If it were me, I'd just put him to bed & close the door ---- let him throw as big a fit as he wants to in his room.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• He knows exactly what he is doing mom lol. First-take a breath, ok here is something to try. Instead of the high chair-make a time out spot. Start over the next time(this time is too out of control kwim) give him 1 warning(do not yell again or you will get time out) then if he does it sit him in time out(a pillow in the corner lets say) get on his level and say calmly "you will sit for 2 minutes" if he gets up walk him back(don't repeat yourself tho), if he yells ignore him for a few minutes and set the timer. You may have to put him back 1000 times but stick to it. At the end of 2 mins say, calmly"U were in time out for ___, can you say sorry?" if he freaks out or says no-back he goes. Try to stay calm and stick to it-i promise it will work if you stick to the plan. good luck, you are not alone.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I never really started time-outs with my kids til they were 3. Maybe if you give him a page to color for a minute. IDK, I think by tha ttime I'd have given up honestly. By now I'm sure he's forgotten the reason he's in there!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You have to walk away. Find a better time out spot, even if it's on a small pillow. If he gets up and tries to walk away then you put him back - even if it takes an hour. You can't expect him to see you standing/sitting right there and not try his darn best to get your attention.
    Anonymous

• bearsjen has got it. for this one its out of control, but just don't talk back to him and let him cry/tire himself to sleep.
    Yes, 2 year olds can do it.
    And yes, they act worse before it gets better.
    When you are trying to change/get rid of a behavior, sometimes the fact that it gets worse means that what you are doing is working -- they will do it harder to wear you down/get your attention -- stick to your guns be consistent and it will work.
    For right now, don't talk to your son, just breathe and breathe and wait. (at that age I'd cheat and put the timer for less time -- they have no idea how long 2 min really is -- sometimes learning sucks)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2008