how do i start potty training my twin boys all they know how to do is take their diaper off but they won't sit on the potty but a few seconds

christal112836

Asked by christal112836 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where is the potty located? You may have to move the potty to another room so they feel comfortable. Find an activity they can do only while on the potty. Therefore it's kind of a treat to sit there and they will want to use it more often.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 5:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It sounds like they just are not ready. But they seem interested at least. Do they ever see others using the potty? I would just talk about the potty and what you do there and ask them if they want to try. Pushing them before they "get it" can be a disaster-and they will just decide to stick wityh diapers.Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My daughter was the same way for a long time. She'd sit on the potty, leap up and run away laughing within seconds. So I stopped trying. I still read her potty training storybooks and we still talked about how she would use the potty when she needed to pee or poop one day. But I waited until she was willing to sit on the potty for several mintues. How did I know? One day she just did. That's when I started.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Does your child use a potty chair or a seat on the toilet? My son started w/a chair but then we moved to a seat on the toilet because he liked it better. But to keep him there I play games with him, it might be a bit gross but I always tell him "listen... do you hear poop?" and I'll sit there on the bathtub with him next to the potty and cup my hand by my ear like I'm listening.. then he'll focus and poop. And he's always so excited when he does. I always make a big reaction like "uh! Oh my gosh! You pooped!" and he just laughs and laughs and wants to stay there and do it more. Some times I have trouble getting him off the potty though!! lol
    BeckNAiden06

Answer by BeckNAiden06 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2008