I just told my 13 year old son that I'm expecting! Lets just say he was less than thrilled!! What can I do to get him to accept a new baby?

I'm mother to a single 13 year old child and I'm now 14 weeks pregnant. Son is not looking forward to a new baby in the house!!

brandonsmomma77

Asked by brandonsmomma77 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Get him involved. Let him go with you to see a sonogram sometimes. Let him help you decorate the baby's nursery. Let him choose clothing, bottles, etc. Make him feel like you need him or you won't be able to make it through.
    QueenWeibchen

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• He will adapt. Once he sees that sweet little baby I'm sure he will change his mind.
    Eliza34

Answer by Eliza34 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• He's probably embarassed that his uncool old mom is still having sex. (I'm not calling you uncool and old, by the way.)
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son was 10 when I got pregnant. He was happy but he was upset that it was not a girl. I would just tell him all of the good things about having a baby and that he would be a great big brother. I dont know how he would feel but me and my son took a class for siblings (he was 10) and they taught the kids how to put a diaper on and showed them a film and how to hold the baby adn things like that. Maybe if he is the only child he may experience jelliously so if he got involved like with the class, shopping for the baby it might make a difference.
    trahtina

Answer by trahtina at 2:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• What I did with my kids, ranging in age from 11-16, is tell them they are the example. This little baby is going to look up to them and want to be them. So anger and yelling was never aloud lol
    Believe it or not, this worked pretty well. I also involved them in naming the baby and doctor's appt.
    julieinaz

Answer by julieinaz at 2:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would tell him that although a new baby will bring many changes that he will always have a place in your heart that is just for him, and nothing can change the love you have for him.
    chrysalis12481

Answer by chrysalis12481 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Get him involved, make him feel like this is HIS baby brother or sister. Let him help with getting ready for the baby, help pick the name, go to ultra sounds with you. Make him part of it all.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is 14 years older than our daughter. When we told him he said, "YEAH! EEEWWW!" He always wanted a little brother but we had a girl instead. He did okay when she got here and is totally in love with her. It just takes time for the adjusting. Keep having special Mom & Me time for you guys. Don't let the baby take over everything, even though it will feel that way.
    LyndenMomof2

Answer by LyndenMomof2 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2008