For the women in your 30's (Does this happen to you)?

I am in my middle 30's , but have teenage children as opposed to most of my friends just getting married and starting families.

What bugs me though, is that I guess I look younger than I am and people still treat me like a teenager sometimes. (At least I feel like it). I feel like people don't take me as serious as an older person when it comes to certain things like dealing with teachers at the kids school and at my job. I always dress and present myself in a professional manner, but sometimes I think people try to take advantage of me and that pisses me off. I also have problems from others at work because most of the people I work with are in management, been working over 25 years there and I have only been in my position for 2 years and know more than most of the people I work with. I feel like it is that they are intimidated, but they think I am being cocky. Does anyone else experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• This happens to me too. I am in my early 30s and have a teenage daughter. For years I had issues with teachers not taking me seriously in person. They always had a much different attitude on the phone vs. in person. I'm actually to the point where I find it funny. Sometimes my daughter will say "mom" very loudly in public places and then laugh at all the funny looks. I look like I'm in my mid 20's and she looks like she's in her late teens.

At work, it took a while for me to get over that judgement. We got a new computer system and all the other employees were lost, including management. I picked it up quickly and became everyone's go-to for problems. Basically, I had to prove myself. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to prove myself.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• BTW, my teen and I just had a life lesson on judgements. She helped me to take my 13 month old twins to the doctor. A girl who looked to be 15-16 years old and a older woman 30-40 years came out with a little baby. My daughter automatically thought the teen was the baby's mother because the teen was holding her.

We had to go to the attached hospital lab right after the appointment. One of my twins had to have a test. She stayed out with the other one. She said people were staring at her, glaring, and whispering. Until a woman there asked how old "her" child was. She told the lady it was her brother yada yada. The room environment changed and suddenly people were smiling at her.

She was mad that they judged her. At least until I pointed out that she had judged the other teen.

Sorry, that was a long run on answer to your question.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I'm going to be 29 soon...but I look like I'm seventeen. I don't really care about it anymore and I don't let it bother me. I dress how I wanna dress and only wear professional clothes when I have to, at work, or when it's an important event. Yes I feel like people overstep my authority because they think I'm a kid. Like asking for the manager, and when I tell them that's me, they go, no really, the manager. Then it bothers me, lol. Oh well. I guess it's just the curse of getting older and not looking like it. I think we're supposed to be lucky. When I take the kids someplace and my mom is with us, ppl think SHE is the mom of all of us. Boy are they ever surprised to learn I'm a mama too!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2008