St. John's Wort and/or Black Cohosh?

I have been hearing that these herbal supplements are good for PMS, Anxiety, etc. I have never taken them, but want to find something to help me that is natural. Has anyone taken either of these? If so, what is your experience with either? Are there side effects to watch for?

goinginsane1

Asked by goinginsane1 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Health

• Well that would depend, you would have to be more specific with your symptoms. Do you have a history of such things what kind of anxiety do you have ( what triggers it?)
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well, I was on birth control solely to regulate my hormones because I have awful periods and hemorrhage each month. I don't need birth control for birth control as my DH had a vasectomy. Found out I can't take birth control because I have bad reactions to it. Also, I am on Xanax for anxiety which gets exacerbated right before my periods. People have mentioned these to me, but I know nothing about either and am scared to try new things.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would be careful with st johns wort. It works amazingly for depression but if you have bipolar it can cause problems. I would attempt to treat the source of the problems. Do you know why you hemmorage each period? What do you define as hemmoraghing?
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 7:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have been in the hospital 2x's already for heavy bleeding, clots, etc. I have had ultrasounds to test for cysts, polyps and they came back normal. TMI, but when I am on my periods, I have had clots the size of baseballs and golf balls sometimes and the doctor said birth control would help, which it did for a while until I broke out in this huge rash all over my neck and chest area. Doctor said I couldn't take birth control anymore. (By that time,I had already been on 4 different kinds). I don't know what else to do cause I don't want to be like this. Doctor says I cannot get a hysterectomy unless I am anemic, which I am not.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008