How long do I have to name my newborn

I have an idea for a name already but she is such an individual already I am sure I will change it after I see her. Does anyone know how long I have til I have to name her?

MissMaryAnn0129

Asked by MissMaryAnn0129 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing is 100% official until you put a name down on the birth certificate.

Some people don't have any idea what to name their kids until they first lay eyes on them...the baby is referred to as "Baby Girl _____" until you come up with a name.

Both of my stepsisters went into labor without names for their kids =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i googled it and apparently, you can have as long as you want the birth certificate will just say "babyboy/girl {surname}" it will cost a bit of money to change the birth certificate though.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 6:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• In the hospital my kids were born in, you have to have your baby named by the time you leave the hospital - even if it means "baby boy" or "baby girl", and legally changing it later. The birth certificate HAS to be filled out & turned in before you can take your baby home.
    Anonymous

• Have a pretty good idea b/f you go in and then you can change your mind. I refused to name my daughter without her father being there (he got there late sat night -- she was born Fri morn) so I guessed we named her officially 2 days after she was born (and it turned out not to be the name(s) I was oncidering but by that point I was ready to name her Nushka (cause she was driving me nuts and seemed like a german/russian general -- major lactose issues)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008