Packnplay safe to sleep in?

I'm about to have another baby and we already have one crib. Since Gauge will be over a year old could i get a packnplay for him to sleep in? Are they safe?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 6:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think a one yr old is too big for a pack-n-play? I guess check the weight requirments for the one you like. I cannot wait until this baby comes to get my pak n play because they did not have them yet when I had ds lol. I think they are awesome.Definantly safe for a baby to sleep/play in.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Man I hope they are safe. My 15 yr old slept in one when he was 1 and hes still here LOL. Just joking with you. Of course it should be ok to sleep in at that age. Just be careful mine when in it learned how to escape. They can get quite clever.

Answer by gemgem at 6:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• All 4 of my kids slept in a pack-n-play for the first year of their life - ours has a bassinet insert that they were in for about 4 months, then we took that out and they were in it normally. I honestly feel it's better for them to be in one earlier in life than later - i.e. put the new baby in it, not your older child. It's a thinner, firmer "mattress". I padded it with extra blankets when my babies got older. I believe, safety-wise, you'd be better off putting the new baby in, your older child is used to a crib and could try to throw himself out the side since it's mesh. It'd be a change for the worse to move him to a pack-n-play at this point, IMO.
    Anonymous

• We're using our pack n play for the basinet in our room for our newborn. it has the bassinet part on it. I'm sure they're safe for bigger babies too, as long as he fits.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My oldest was about a year old when I put him in it...he stood up, grabbed the side and started shaking it....the other side lifted a good 6 inches off the floor.

After that, I only used them for traveling and had it wedged in a corner.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008