how do i get my baby to sleep through the night?

i cant get my baby to sleep through any of the night shes up until 1 then sleeps til 3 or 4 the is up again at 5 or 6 then is up all the rest of the day with little naps in between

myworldisbella

Asked by myworldisbella at 6:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my goodness you must be exhausted! Some babies just sleep like that until they get on a better schedual...do you have someone/friend/family member who can come help out so you can get some rest? try to nap when she does is the only advice I have because there really is no way to force her on a schedual. Hang in there mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• How old is she? If she is newborn then she needs time to adjust...if she is a couple months old, then try keeping her awake during the "little" naps throughout the day, and only let her take big ones, and none close to what you want bed time to be.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Guessing from your profile, she's a newborn? If so...this is normal. Her tummy is little and designed to be filled often. Five hours is considered sleeping through the night.

Co-sleeping is a lifesaver...I highly recommend it. But sleeping long stretches is a long way off. Sleep when she does sleep, leave things undone.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would start by putting her to bed earlier. We had been staying up with my son also and then just decided on putting him to bed earlier... and he slept!! Sometimes they are awake more because they are overtired.
    A nice tight swaddle works well a lot of time too.
    My son is 5 months and still wakes at night... but goes to bed at 9:30 and gets up at 7:00 and wakes a couple of times.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• From my experience, the key to getting a baby to sleep well is getting them on a schedule. If she's a newborn then obviously she sets the schedule right now but when you're comfortable with it start trying to schedule feeding times, nap times, and most importantly a bedtime. Once she's on a routine her sleeping schedule will get better. In the meantime, try to get as much sleep as you possibly can whether it's getting help from a family member or sleeping while she is because if you get too exhausted your patience will surely run thin!
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My first baby was horrible at sleeping, I think part cause I spoiled her and was afraid to let her cry. I would rock her to she fell asleep, would lay her down and then she'd wake up again. She got use to the warmth and being cuddled I think. We would be up till 11:30 or 12 some nights. It got exhausting especially when i started back to work and was getting up at 6 in the morning. So eventually I would make sure she was dry, feed, cuddled a little kissed and I'd put her to bed earlier and earlier every night. I had to be brave and let her cry. It's hard with the first. You can tell if there may be something wrong with he or she keeps crying. Now to be honest it worked we do go to bed by 9:30, but she likes to read books and play with toys in room for a little. She is almost 3. She does the same thing at naps, but quiet time is always good. My second I did not spoil and she has a great schedule.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I used the Ferber method when my baby turned 3 months. It was a life saver- after 3 nights of the method she was sleeping from 7pm to 5am. Now we have her going to bed (she is 5 months) around 730-8pm and she gets up around 530-6am- i giver her a bottle and she goes back to sleep until 8am. I would recommend the book "how to solve her childs sleep problems" by Dr. Ferber. Awesome book.
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008