my 9 month is sick! help!

ok so this my first and i dont know what to do he doesnt have a fever just a runny nose and a lil cough here and there he is also teething we are giving him tylenol for the pain of th tooth but thats it. what else should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok mom, first take a deep breath...it's going to be ok..At this point just try to make him more comfy. Maybe a warm bath with some johnson's vapor bath, lots of liquids too will help with the cough and congestion. Also you can call doc or pharmacist about a good over the counter cold medication and don't be afraid to give it too him. it does help. Hope he feels better soon!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Those symptoms could be related to the teething. I don't really know why teething causes a runny nose and slight cough though, but I've heard it does. You can get a cool mist vaporizer and run it in his room at night, if he sounds congested. Call your pediatrician if you're concerned, there's always a chance of an ear infection.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Things to help- humidifier in bed room, saline drops in the nose and then suck it out with a bulb syringe (they HATE that part.. it might be a 2 man job), putting the crib mattress on an incline helps (put a pillow under the mattress)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If there are no other symptoms and he's not really bothered by it during the day then I'm betting it's just related to the teething. How long has he had it? My DD had the same thing when her first two teeth popped through and it only lasted a couple days and was only really bad one night. Run a humidifier in the room to help the runny nose while he sleeps and suck it out throughout the day to help clear it out.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• FYI, Infants are not allowed to take cold meds. Like the others said, it is probably from teething. Hang in there... Kids generally get sick 5-10 times a year in there first few years. I have two sick at the same time:(
    alalsip

Answer by alalsip at 11:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008