Wouldn't this make you mad?

So I work as office manager of a local contractor. Granted things get slow for us in the winter. So I am down to about 24 hours a week as compared to 40+. I work for a really nice guy, honest and always puts his people first. So last week he told me to work 35 hrs so I would have a nice check right before Christmas...so I did. He was supposed to be paying us weds. So he comes into the office today and tells me I can go home at 1 and just not come back until friday. Then proceeds to tell me to have a good Christmas and sorry no bonus this year...which I don't care..things are tough all over just my pay is something to be thankful for. Then says he had bills to pay and if he can he will pay us friday. I am screwed..that was Christmas money..I don't know what to do.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 7:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, if you were just supposed to be getting it early on Wednesday there isn't much you can do about it although it does stink to think you were getting it early, planning your finances accordingly, and then having it taken from you. Now the "if I can pay you friday I will" sounds like "If I have the money you'll get paid" which is NOT a good thing at all you're not there out of charity!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't think that is legal. Maybe you should have him reported.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It's certainly not legal to not pay your employees. I'd be highly pissed. You should tell him not getting a Christmas bonus is one thing, but you have bills yourself and need to be paid - period.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• yes but if her payday was friday maybe he was going to give them early and could not but after friday I would call someone good luck i hope all works out for you

Anonymous

• If, on the contract you signed to work with this employer, it stated that you would be paid on Friday's, then there is nothing illegal about it.

It still sucks, and I am sorry for you, but unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it, unless it was stated that your paydays are on Wednesdays.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• nice? honest? puts people first? whose boss were you talking about? you need to just tell him and find you another job,,,good luck
    Anonymous

• "If he can he will pay you on Friday"- my response would be "If you can't, I'll be filing a complaint with the labor board". When it comes to your paycheck, there is no "if he can" about it. Him not paying on Wed., as others have said, if normal payday is Friday, there is nothing you can do about that. It's legal. But, I wouldn't settle for the "if I can" crap. Not when it comes to the money I need to pay my bills and feed my family, not to mention buy Christmas.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That would suck, but you can just explain to your kids they will get their presents after Christmas, and on a plus you will get all the good after Christmas sales.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Get him in trouble.. thats not right...
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Thanks for your support ladies...he is a good man really. I have worked for him for three yrs and this is the first time anything like this has happened. My son works for him too. He installs pools in the summer. I have 5 kids and he loaned me two thousand dollars to purchase our pool and let me pay it off over two yrs little by litte sometimes only 25 bucks a week and did the 750 dollar install of the pool for free. He really tries hard to treat us like family. I think maybe there was a problem with people paying him this month and now is short...still my mom says he should have cash flow in times like these. It was such a shock...I should not have put all my chickens in one basket...I keep fingers crossed for friday..mom loaning me money until then!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2008