should I share my tax return?

My boyfriend, wants me to give him money to pay off over $2000 in bills for him, that he made stupid mistakes to get that much in debt. But I need to pay bills that I have from being sick without health insurance. I am the one that has worked my butt off for the last 7 months for it. So, should I give him any or should I keep it for myself. He doesn't get a tax return, it goes to his ex for child support.

aprilmommy2007

Asked by aprilmommy2007 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• Hello? He's your BF, not your DH. You don't owe him crap!!! Legally he is not entitled to one red cent of your money. Now if you want to give it to him on your own free will, that's your choice. You need to take care of yourself and make him be a man and take care of his own mess. If you are considering marriage with this guy, I wouldn't recommend marrying into money problems. I hope it works out for the best, but be cautious. Don't let any man use you like a "gold digger".
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• um, you already know you don't want to give it to him so why are you asking? Honestly you need to take care of yourself and your children's needs first then maybe some saving/future investments then if there's any left he can share in some of your wants indulgences, the debts are his issue.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Money problems are one of the biggest causes of marriage problems, so I agree with goinginsane about if you are considering marrying him or even having a relationship with him. As far as your money, it is yours, and since you have the health insurance problem, the money will be very useful for you.

Answer by Bmat at 7:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• dont give him jack! those are his problems, not yours...ease your mind and your burdens...he is not your husband...take care of you...and runnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Anonymous

• It's your money, if he was irresponsible then it's his responsibility to fix it. I'm in debt for over 10k because my ex tried that I me and it was one of the biggest mistakes i've made.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Boyfriend today...gone tomorrow! What's to keep him from leaving you, after you give him the money? His word? Or will he turn around and say it was a gift or he doesn't "remember" you giving him any money?!

Short of having him sign a LEGAL "IOU," I wouldn't give him one red penny! Take care of yourself and your bills first, and THEN, if you WANT to, you can share your money with him--but I would consider it money you'll never see again!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• ok sry hun but tell him to deal with it or hit the road, is ur child with him or no? regaurdless u have ur own bills to take care off if u can help him after u take care of ur stuff that cool but i think its wrong for him to think u should hand over 2000 and noot take care of ur stuff
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 8:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Nope, you need to take care of yourself and your child first. Clearly, he's in no position to return the favor later if you did give it to him, and you would likely never see it again. I would tell him sorry, but you just can't do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You first duty is to take care of yourself. He is crossing a big boundary here; that he would ask you for money is unbelievable. I agree with above, run. You've learned something important about him, he is willing to use you. Please don't let him do so.
    DanieT

Answer by DanieT at 8:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I second the first answer completely!
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 9:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2008