You've stated your opinion on Immunizing your kids

but are there any of you who chose to immunize or chose not to and later regretted your choice for one reason or another. My son goes to the doc tomorrow and I want to make sure I do what's best for him regarding immunizations. Anyone get sick from not immunizing or have a child get a reaction from getting one?

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• I immunize my daughter and I worry about the mercury a lot. I have asked my doctor about safer options and combo shots, so I feel like I'm at least making an effort to be informed. Even though I have that concern, I will still vaccinate with the daughter I'm pregnant with now.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have never regretted my decision to not get vaccines for my kids. I am thankful I haven't. If you want any specific answers you are welcome to PM me.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The reason these diseases aren't a problem, is BECAUSE of immunizations. We're vaccinating our daughter, but we're spreading them out farther than what they usually do, and we're keeping a close eye on her. if she has any reactions then we won't vaccinate her further.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I very much regret my decision to vaccinate my son. He had all of his shots up until 12 months when I did my homework and research and decided he will not have any more shots, EVER. My son has autism, btw. I can not say that the shots caused it and I can't say that they didn't (JMO But until medical professionals know what causes autism I don't think ANYONE can say "this does, this doesn't" and be 100% sure) but I do that I put a whole lot of nasty chemicals into his body that I never would have agreed to had I known. So yes I regret my decision but at least I made the change I wanted to at some point instead of not at all.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't regret it. The only thing I'll do differently next time is delaying them a bit longer. He got all of them up until he was 6 months old. Then, I did more research and became more aware and decided to space them out longer.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with aurorabunny, my brother was a perfectly happy and normal 2 year old and he suddenly changed. He has autism and I'll always believe that vaccines had something to do with it.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• There is NO mercury in shots for kids and hasn't been in years.
    Most research on autism is pointing to a strong genetic factor. It's looking like certain stressful situations may trigger autism in kids with certain genes. Shots can be stressful but so can lots of other things. The numbers I've seen show that kids who get no shots and kids who get shots get autism at about the same rate.
    All you can do is find out as much decent info as possible and make the best choice you can for your family. Unfortuantely, the internet is a bad place to find info on this topic. There are so many junk science sites that claim to have good info backing them when they don't.
    Did I worry about getting my daughter the shots? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes though I would probably space them out a little further. There are no promises in anything we do. Every decision we make is a roll of the dice, no matter which way we decide.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Kaycee actually that's incorrect, if you visit the CDC's own website it states that there are SMALL amounts of thimerosal (the mercury containing chemical) that still remain in most shots but that it is not significant enough to do any harm. And stressful situations do NOT cause autism, I'm sorry but that has been disproven by science over and over and over again. Saying things like that perpetuates the old "refridgerator mother" theory of autism.

Oh and BTW I have nooooo problem with parents who vaccinate, I believe it is a very personal and hard decision and respect all moms on this front. I just wanted to let you know those facts were incorrect.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My kids have had all their vaccinations and they have never had a bad reaction, the school is now asking for them to get a second chicken pox vaccination and I'm refusing only because I don't feel they need it, if they get the chicken pox I will deal with it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My mom has fifteen brothers and sisters, and out of all of them, she was the ONLY one to get sick. She contracted polio when she was nine months old, and she almost died from it. She has never walked. Now I know what many are saying about vaccinations being dangerous - but the diseases are even more dangerous than taking the risk and protecting your child. Because of what my mom went through, I promised myself that I would never put my kids at risk these days. And I don't think vacs cause autism either. I think the rise in that is caused by all the additives they put in foods these days. Or they could just be misdiagnosing. And most schools require vaccinating or they won't let your kids go there. They actually ask for the vac chart.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 9:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2008