whole milk

My son has been on Similac Sensitive after he was diagnosed with colic. He doesn't have colic anymore, thank goodness! Anyhoo, I'm wary about starting whole milk, which he is supposed to start at 1 year. He is 11 months, 1 week now. Any suggestions from other mamas will be welcome. Thanks!

amandallamas

Asked by amandallamas at 7:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start introducing it to him in small amounts in his formula. Try the 1/4 milk, 3/4 formula for a period of time ( a week or two) then gradually step up by 1/4's until you get to 100% milk.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• ask your son's pediatrician, he'll know best on how to go about it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When I started my kids on milk I did half milk half water then as they started getting used to it i put less water in and after about a month they were drinking milk with no problem.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I'd recommend checking with your pediatrician since he's on a special formula.

My oldest was on soy and the other two just on regular formula. When the pediatrician said to, we switched to 2%. Just switched. Some kids do okay that way....some need to switch slowly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• 3 of my 4 kids were allergic to milk at 12 months. all of them outgrew the allergy by 22 months. try it, see what happens, at 12 months
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 10:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i switched right over and had no problems.
    haileyraesmommy

Answer by haileyraesmommy at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You can do half milk & half formula for a while to wean him off of the formula. Also, you don't have to use whole milk. Most doctors, pediatricians, WIC people, etc will tell you that 2% is fine (and 1% for kids over 2) b/c they get plenty of fat and calories from the food they eat.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Just do it. If you give him his first cup and he doesn't tolerate it, don't give him a second one! It's ok to keep a kid on formula after 12 mos, but make sure he won't be fine on the milk first. One day of milk should probably tell you.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2008