How do you tip your letter carrier?

Do you just leave an envelope with money in it on your porch? I'm so confused. Also, our mailbox is just a slot in our garage. The postman never even comes to our door. What do you do?

Asked by CluelessCarrie at 7:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Holidays

• To the OP, I forgot to mention, that if you are home when you usually receive your mail, I'd be on the lookout for your carrier and either hand it to him/her or tape it to the slot (perhaps halfway in the slot), with their name or a small bow on the envelope just before they usually deliver it--trust me, they'll see it! You could also maybe tape a little note on your mail slot asking them to ring your front doorbell, or tell them where you've "hidden" an envelope (like on your front porch), for them if you're not home.

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Ha Ha Ha. Seriously? I don't. I figure he gets paid to deliver mail. No one tips me.

• I have never heard of anyone doing it, but it is a great idea. I leave my paper lady my homemade jam, pickles or baked goods though. I just baked doughnuts,fudge, and pb cups, I think I'll make him a nice little bag for tom. when he comes. Thanks for the idea.

Answer by asholan_07 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• ive heard of people tippint the mail man, i dont, like the other poster said, its thier job. i dont get tipped

Answer by Thalie at 8:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• We have a walking carrier and I USED to leave a small tip before our service got so crappy. I just left a card with $5 in it the box and wrote "to our mail carrier" across the top.

Answer by Slinkee at 8:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• for christmas we always leave a card in our mail with the flag up saying marry christmas to our mail person..
    usully give them $20 for the yr.
    we got a card last yr from our mail man

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• actually, there's a postal regulation about mail carriers receiving cash gifts from customers..they aren't supposed to. you can give gifts, but no cash. of course, obviously, some carriers aren't following the rules...(my sister has been a postal employee for over 15 years..she just told me this rule.)

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Does showing your boobs count?

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• LOL @ fiveofakind2

I've never heard of tipping your mail carrier.

Answer by Jill42721 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Damn took my idea, LOL

Answer by pnwmom at 2:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2008