• In the Spotlight:

Where should my 2 year old sleep, with us or his bed?

We have my boyfriends 14 year old brother living with us and he has a pooping his pants medical issue He and my 2 year old are supposed to share a room but because I can't stand the smell of that room, I have my son sleep with us. Tony says that my son doesn't know better and he'll get used to the smell. I don't feel that it would be right of me to put my child somewhere I would never sleep and I don't want him getting used to that filthy smell. Am I making a fuss or is Tony right?.

kissthis

Asked by kissthis at 1:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with the age they should be in their own room. the longer you keep them in yours the larger and harder the challenge will be when you move them into their own room.
    sailornwife

Answer by sailornwife at 1:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree with sailornwife. The longer your 2 year old sleeps with you, the harder it will be to get him out of your bed. The smell is not physically harmful - get some type of air freshener, preferably a type that eliminates odor, not just covers them with perfume.

Other things to consider...
    You are teaching him that something is wrong with his own room or his roommate.
    You are sending a message to the older boy that his problem is awful. It's not like he can help it and I'm sure he can use all the emotional support he can get.
    You are denying yourself, your BF, and your son a good night sleep.
    You are denying yourself and your BF "me" time together since your 2-year-old is always there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• No, you are not making a fuss and the baby shouldn't have to deal with the smell either. That can't be good for him. Try asking your husband to sleep in that room and see how long that lasts.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I tend to agree that the longer their in your bed the harder it is to get them out, however BOTH of my babies sleep with my husband and I and we love it!I used to be ashamed to tell other moms, but I am proud to say that they sleep with me...and we sleep great! Besides, I wouldn't want my son to sleep somwhere he wouldnt be comfortable, and your son might not find sleeping with that smell comfortable!
    Boodahbear0608

Answer by Boodahbear0608 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i would do the same....your son should be comfortable...make your boyfriend sleep in there!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• is there room in your room for a little toddler bed...so that he is in his own bed but not in yours? (although there is nothing wrong with co sleeping a large number of people do and something like 85% of families outside the US do) There could be some harm in his being in that room....fecal spores do travel through the air and could cause him some breathing/lung issues...i say "could" because there is just as much a chance they wont....but the possibility is there.
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 10:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• in his own bed...maybe in your room...just over on the other side of the room...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2008