Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much will it cost to get a family lawyer to help with getting visitiation with kids?

I know someone through someone else who is trying to get visitation for his kids but need a lawyer to do so. He work and has a really good job. He has a court order for child support but go out his way to not pay it. He is very neglectful towards his children and everytime when they use to stay overnight with him, they would come home with something bad physically or through neglect happening to them. He is also a drunk. I personally don't think he need to have visitation until he do better by them. She is afraid if he can find a lawyer that is cheap like a few hundred dollars, he will be able to take her to court and get overnight visitation and harm the children even more. These people live in GA. Please people who want to be judgemental towards the mother, do not respond. Everyone life can't be as perfect as yours.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • If she can prove that he is a drunk and can/does harm the children then i would think that the court will take that into effect and hopefully not grant the visitation.

    Answer by asholan_07 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • you really cant take away his parental rights unless you get an investigation done. such as if teh kid go with him and they come back with a mark or soemthign wrong with them, then she needs to call childservices adn get an investigation. they will look into it and determine if hes a suitable father. other wise the other way he cant see his kids if he has had some sort battery against teh kids or the mother of the kids.. family lawyers usually cost about 50 bucks an hour

    Answer by vadasmom at 9:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • Ohh sweetie I don't judge, its not my style:) Ummm a cheap lawyer-I have never heard of one. Lawyers usually run anywhere from 150-170 dollars an hour and I live in ND where the cost of living is very low! She really should be turning him in everytime she sees something suspicious, though. She needs to prove to the court that he is an unfit parent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • First thing she needs is proof. Pictures, statements from the kids, from other witnesses. She should contact an attorney herself. Mine just did my case for $180.00. We didn't have to go to court - he signed a stipulation - but that's all it took for me to get full custody.

    Answer by Babylove76 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • Did you try a facilitator at the courthouse, it is free.

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 9:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

  • We spent 8k getting custody taken care of three years ago. No joke. Eventually my ex signed away his paternity. Our lawyer was 200 an hour and calling her to check how things went had a $50 minimum charge. It was a costly, stressful venture.

    Answer by Serafyna at 12:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • Yea, get a public attorney. Its only $50. Call the child support people and ask them how to go about getting one. Your friend should have an social case work assigned to her already.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • It depends on where you live the cheapest lawyer that I have found is $250.00 an hour and I live in Florida. I am going through a custody battle right now with my ex-boyfriend, if the lawyer is good enough then he will work with whoever is paying him. I don't want my ex to have unsupervisied visitation because he doesn't know what he is doing with an 8-month old baby and won't listen to anything that I say. Tell your friend good luck and best wishes on getting the outcome that she wants.

    Answer by pamsmith34741 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

  • hm, Im kind of having the same issue with my baby dad he wants visitation rights i put him on child support a while ago and he never went through to comply with it cause he wasnt working now that he is workin he finally went to get the paper work done and i just dont want the child support no more because he throws it in my face (even though he hasnt given me crap for our son) i stopped letting him see the baby for almost 4 months i have given him so many chances but i dont know what to do anymore im so tired of dealing with him, he just got arrested not too long ago.. has three charges pending would they give him visitation rights?

    Answer by MiA0711 at 2:57 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • She has reported everything that happen to the children to child services.....

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.