Can you only get pregnant while ovulating? Or can you get pregnant before or after?? Say your ovulation is from the 17-26 but you had sex on the 12???

marigrimes

Asked by marigrimes at 9:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm kind of confused. Ovulation is not a process lasting several days- you ovulate and the egg is fertile for approx 24 hours. So you can't be ovulating from day 17-26. However sperm can live in the reproductive tract for up to five days, so you can get pg from sex five days before ovulation. So if you had sex on day 12 and ovulated on day 17, yes you could get pregnant. Does this help?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• anytime you have sex you can get pregnant. ANY time
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• "Answered at 9:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 by: KelsoBabeyy anytime you have sex you can get pregnant. ANY time "

That is not true. Sperm can only survive for a maxium of 5-6 days. IF you have sex up to 6 days before you ovulate then yes you can. But after ovulation and during your period, (unless you ovulate 6 days into your cycle) you can't.

But based on your dates, yes its possible.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 9:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You only ovulate on one day. In your scenario, that day could fall anywhere between day 17-26. If you DO ovulate on day 17, it's POSSIBLE to get pregnant from sex on day 12....and expect a girl because those are the sperm that live longest.

Go buy a copy of "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler. No guesswork. You'll KNOW exactly the day you ovulate so you know when to do the deed.

I got pregnant the VERY FIRST cycle after reading that book. All those ovulation kits? Waste of money...they said I WASN'T ovulating when my TCOYF chart said I was. And the chart was right!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2008