I have a stupid question

Sex can bring on labor as well as walking can and I was wondering if masturbation and orgasms can make me start contracting as well or do I need the sperm mixed to soften the cervix in order to start contracting and bringing on labor?

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 9:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i think having orgasms can because it tenses the uterus up doesnt it? just like when you are pregnant and you have an orgasm your stomach gets really hard. seems like the same thing too....
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It does tense it up I was just wondering if I needed the sperm to have the full effect lol, my dh isn't off work until 2am so I figure why not get a head start on things lol
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 9:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My OBGYN told me that in the later months off pregnancy to NOT maturbate because it could cause me to go into labor.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 9:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• lol! :) thats funny. well i guess according to Morgans dr that it can being on labor because he told her not to...

Get on it then LOL... jk :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• lol heck, might as well....orgasms cause contractions so you can get a jump start on it and then when your hubby comes home, jump on him and hopefully you'll have a baby tomorrow lol. I always said when I was at the end of my pregnancy, I'm going to invent a vibrator that has sperm in it for women w ho want to go into labor
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The orgasm helps bring on contractions, but they aren't going to be strong enough to do much or last...the semen will soften the cervix if you're close to being ready and that is the effect that will last. But yes...bring me the semen vibrator when its ready! lol I want this baby out!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• orgasms will can cause contractions... semen will cause your cervix to soften and start to thin.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• good to know I will just have my fun and then make hubby have fun when he gets off work as well, thank you ladies
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 11:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Semen and orgasms soften the cervix best, but either separately is better than neither!!! Yes orgasms make you contract, but the semen has a hormone that makes the cervix softer and the contractions work best on a soft cervix. Happy hunting!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Orgasms can do it, but the prostaglandins in sperm will soften the cervix, and encourage dilation. It's the same hormone they give you in the hospital to get you to dilate (ie Cervadil, Cytotec, etc). The orgasms can stimulate contractions. If nothing else, it's a great way to make yourself feel good when you're so uncomfortable! And yes, using a vibrator is perfectly safe, including inside you, FYI.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2008