Is masturbation healthy for a growing girl?

My 13 year old girl is a lot shorter than most. She isn't as developed as most girls her age either. I know she's been masturbating to porn for at least a year and a half. I was wondering if it's healthy for her growing body. I've always wanted to confront her about it but I'm not sure what to say. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would be concerned about the porn since 11 and a half, but as far as masturbating, I doubt it is going to do any harm unless she is penetrating herself.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well I'm 18 but I was 13 once. I don't know if it helps with your growing but I know its something all women do eventually some just develop the urge earlier. I looked at porn and masturbated when I was 13. Its a normal thing for most kids. But to confront her and let her know you know I think would be a wrong choice. I personally wouldn't want my mom having that conversation with me. It would embarrass me and make me feel like I have no privacy. I think you should have the Talk with her again though. If she is maturing enough to do that then she obviously knows about sex and you might wanna get prepared for the whole birth control deal. She is young but better safe then sorry. Telling your kid not to have sex because they are too young doesn't keep them from doing it. So have the talk!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 9:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i was very short and underdeveloped at 13 and i masturbated regularly. but rarely to porn, i think you should be concerned about the porn. Porn is for adults not children. My mum did not allow me to look at porn and i was fine with it.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• either is wrong. she needs to learn to have control over her body so that she can control the urges to sleep around and knowing why being sexual at a young age is not the best thing for a young mind. the porn will destroy her and make her think it is normal to have that kind of sex when we all know it's not what real sex is like and what it's for. i don't think your being much of a parent if your not parenting. it's not easy facing the tough issues with kids but hey if not you then who? parents have a lot of control over what kids do if they speak to them. i guess it's all a matter of what your religious beliefs are but i wouldn't let this pass. sounds like your concerned. talk at least ask her why? you might find your relationship becomes closer and more open by talking.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Um yeah. I dont think this is a real question. You dont have stunted growth from masturbation! I suppose your son has hairy palms too?
    Anonymous

• This is a troll.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• A counselor told me about my teen son he has urges and did something he wasn't suppose to. Any way the counselor told me and she's from a mental clinic there's nothing wrong with it it's loving yourself and nothing wrong with loving yourself
    peachies02

Answer by peachies02 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Mastrabating is normal but I would worry about porn because real sex is nothing like porn and could set her up for disappointment with her future partner
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I think I'm actually in the majority for once. The masturbation is normal, the porn will teach that women are sex objects. Women are people, not objects.

You can tell her to stop masturbating but it won't do you any good, I wouldn't tell her that anyway because it is normal. It is time to talk to her about real sex though, embarrasing or not.

P.S. This has nothing to do with your religious beliefs and anybody who thinks their child doesn't masturbate because they go to church is only kidding themselves.
    robsmom3

Answer by robsmom3 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Porn at eleven??!! OMG...that is really not okay. Where did she get it? Not every household has porn just laying around. I think every girl touches herself at some point, but not with porn. That just seems really wrong.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2008