What will help his diaper rash

My 2 yr old started a new medcine called pulmicort. Ever since when he poo's his butt gets so red and it hurts him to get wiped or but cream on. Any ideals

Ianmommy4

Asked by Ianmommy4 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had to go on a medication that did that. The dr suggested aquaphor/maloxx. you can get it in a prescription for about $12 or you can mix it yourself. That is all I use now. One application and it is cleared up. It is a miracle worker.
    singlemom5481

Answer by singlemom5481 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• my had a VERY bed diper rash and i bought a aloe plant and put fresh aloe on everytime then put corn starch or baby powder.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I can't rave enough about Balmex. I would put it on every time I changed his diaper. Good luck with your little guy, I hope he feels better soon.
    happywith4kids

Answer by happywith4kids at 9:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Desitin is VERY good. It works right away. I would definatly recommend Desitin. Its worked wonderful on all 3 of my kids. I've tried it all and at the end I always go right back to good ol' Desitin!! Hope your little one gets better!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 9:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Original Desitin, if it's really bad you may need to get a script from the pedi.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If his butt is THAT bad you need to stop using the wipes now, they will only irritate it more. Use a soft wash cloth with warm water instead. Let him leave his diaper off as much as possible that will help immensely. Put a little ointment on it (A&D is my personal favorite). I have been through all of the others, and it is the only one that worked right away. Make sure to put a really good layer on it if the diaper needs to go on. GL and I hope he feels better soon!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I recommend putting aquaphor on his bottom at every change to protect. For my dd we use desitin and then cover that with the aquaphor. Right now she's got a doosie and the doc had me buy calmoseptine. It's really thick and helps a lot. She's also got a yeast rash, so we use that during the day and the yeast cream at night/morning. The calmoseptine is OTC but you have to ask the pharmacist for it.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have four kids and anytime they had anything I swear by Lotrimin. It is an over the counter anti fungal cream. You can find it in the pharmacy section of your local drug store. Good luck!!1
    rickisue

Answer by rickisue at 10:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i use balmex cream, not the ointment. i found out that my boys may have been allergic to lanolin, which is in most ointments, so when i was using it i was doing more harm than good
    whenever they get red that stuff gets rid of it sooo fast. its thick too and stays on the whole time they wear a diaper
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My son used to get REALLY bad diaper rash when he was teething. the only thing that helped it was bag balm....yeah I know it sounds silly but the stuff works wonders!!! They sell it pretty much everywhere but sometimes (at Target) I had to ask for it at the pharmacy even though its sold over the counter. Good luck!
    alexsmom713

Answer by alexsmom713 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2008