Have you ever bought a live fish online and had it shipped to you?

My husband and I are both aquarium enthusiasts, and we have two beautiful fresh water tanks. We live in a small rural area, and even at the "big" pet store (a 95 mile drive from our house) the fish selection isn't very big. We'd like to add a couple of more exotic fish to our tanks but I worry about ordering them online. Are there some companies that are better than others? Do they guarantee that the fish will be alive upon arrival?

ToddlerBrain82

Asked by ToddlerBrain82 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pets

• I've never ordered fish, but I have gotten lizards that way before. The only thing I can recommend is look on the website before you order, and see what it says about the fish being alive upon arrival. For example, when I ordered the lizard, the site said that they would not ship if the weather was expected to be extremely hot or cold in their location on the shipping day or in my location on the expected arrival day. I had to be home to receive the box, they would not let the mail person leave it in the mailbox or on the porch, they sent it requiring a signature.
    Also, make sure it has a statement about what they will do if the fish dies within X amount of time of you receiving it. The fish could arrive in seemingly good condition, but then die a few days later, and I would want to know if they are going to replace it or something like that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I could ask my dad who is a HUGE aquarium person, I mean they have a 250 gallon tank and he built both ponds they have in the front and back yard.
    ILovemyBoys23

Answer by ILovemyBoys23 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Actually thinking about it, some of the fish my dad has in his tank he bought online and had them shipped to him ..I sort of remember him telling me the process ...he says buying them online you have a MUCH better selection. I will get more info and pm you.
    ILovemyBoys23

Answer by ILovemyBoys23 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• yes try doctorfosterand smith.com or live aquaria.com good site have brought from them before.
    ilovemylilymae

Answer by ilovemylilymae at 1:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Ask at the "big pet store" if they will special order the fish you select. Some of them will, especially if they know you as a regular customer who gives them a lot of repeat business.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When we had more tanks set up we did order at times. Right now all we have is our 65 gal. I would have to ask my hubby where he ordered from as we dealt mostly in African Cichlids from lake Tanganyika. As long as the fish are packed properly in well oxygenated water they are fine.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2008