Four bottles (sippy cup) of whole milk per day to much fat for my 16month old??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i believe it's just the right amount.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Check with your pediatrician, but I think that the fat in whole milk is good for babies.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my son has been drinking 2 to 4 servings of SOY milk a day since turning 1. hes now 2 and in the 60% in weight for a child his age, hes strong and healthy. i believe whole milk is not necessary for a child thats eating a regular diet of healthy foods, and im seeing more and more that 2% is being recommended instead. but what about the calcium if you arent giving milk?! blah blah. a much healthier way of getting your calcium is through veggies!
    but whatever thats just me

this link may be helpful to you, check it out
    http://pediatrics.about.com/od/milk/i/05_milk_2.htm

learae

Answer by learae at 10:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My Dr. never had us use whole milk. He said all the nutrients our DD needed would be in the skim milk we already had int he house. 4 cups a day sounds fine, what ever kind of milk you pedi advised on is what I would use.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Fat is good for healthy brain development for the first 2 years I think. My son won't drink whole milk. He preferrs 2%. He is so picky. :)
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• At my last appointment my dr. told me to cut back to 2 8 oz cups of milk per day. My son is 18 months old and was born 2 months preemie. They said it's not good to give the baby too much milk.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yea, I'd ask the ped, per their recommendation, I switched mine to 2% with Omega III fats added in!
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Our pediatrician recommends no more than 20-24oz per day....my boys have always been on 2% as they are in the upper percentiles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• 20-24 oz a day is the usal recommendation
    emmyjosmommy

Answer by emmyjosmommy at 11:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I work in a pedi office for a huge childrens hospital and we recommend no more than 3 cups of WHOLE milk from age 12 months to 24 months a day. At 24 months you then switch to 2 percent.
    If you give them too much milk, they will be "full" and not want to eat other foods that provide them with other nutrients. Whole milk is "good" fat for 12-24 month olds.
    Camrynsmommy81

Answer by Camrynsmommy81 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2008