Dying your hair

Have any of you dyed your hair while pregnant? I've read that it's OK, and then some places say DON'T!! Just curious?

madelines_mom

Asked by madelines_mom at 9:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes i did, and im fine and my doc says it's ok as LONG as its ammonia free dye.. i would have someone do it at home instead of a salon, less fumes
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i use to be a colorist and we just dont recomend it because the chimicals still go into ur pores and into ur blood stream which reach the baby
    eternaldeamer

Answer by eternaldeamer at 10:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• and it also depends on how far along you are.. definately not in the first trimester!!
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It is perfectly safe. I have had a total of 8 different doc's during this pregnancy(I am high risk) and every one of them said it's fine, just try do do it in a well ventilated area. Actually they finally told me"we heard you have asked that a million times so stop obsessing." lol
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My doctor and my hairdresser told me its fine. They said that nothing will seep into your bloodstream or hurt your baby. I have very healthy children and no one ever knew how gray I was through any of my pregnancies. Btw.... they are a little older now and I'd know if it affected them. They are fine. Color away!
    Anonymous

• My sister is a cosmotologist- they dont recommend it. I wouldn't do it.
    life4him4ever

Answer by life4him4ever at 10:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I was told to wait till after the first trimester, I was also told the color may not come out right and it was true with me, it did not come out right and it did not cover my stubborn gray hairs (same color, same place, same person has been doing my hair for a long time).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have heard that it is ok. My doctor said as long as you do it in a well ventilated space. She said the usuall reason they recommend you not to is because of the way your body is while preggo it could turn a very scary color like green.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 11:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I died my hair every 6 weeks while pregnant.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My hairdresser said "no" but my obgyn said it was fine. I dyed as usual the whole time, and both hair and baby were perfectly fine!
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2008