what is the best way to wean my kid of the bottle, it is real hard for me not to give in

My son is 13 months and I've been trying to get him off the bottle. There is no problem with the night and before-nap bottle, I just play with him till he is out. But in between, if he sees a bottle or didn't get enough sleep and is cranky, he screams and yells "batle". I try to ignore it or give him a sippy cup. Though sippy cups don't seem much different from a bottle he still throws it. I've tried giving him lil snacks but that only distracts him for 15 seconds. Playing with him too much only tires me out and he continues.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, if your child is as stubborn as mine were at that age (and still are...but over NEW things!), I say go cold turkey! Throw the bottles away, so the bottles just aren't an option (and even you can't give in!), and either offer him a sippy cup or regular cup. Trust me, he may put up a fight for the better half of a day, but eventually he'll get thirsty (keep the cup handy), and take it. Children even young toddlers will not dehydrate THAT quickly...it'll just be a battle of the wills!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I had the same problem! My daughter didn't get off the bottle until she was about 19months! I ended up having to pack them all away show her the cabinet where they were kept (she knew where to go) and show her that in that cabinet was only sippy cups and big kids cups now. So if you can get your child to go to sleep without the bottle thats good. you shouldn't have to wear yourself out though! good luck and get some rest :)
    Anonymous

• My daughter always depended on her bottle. One day I just up and threw away all of her bottles and all she had was her sippy cup. She either used it or nothing and sure enough afetr she realized she was not getting her bottle back she started using it. She was weaned off the bottle by age 1.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 11:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When my boy started eating enough real food that I could take him off formula (maybe around 8 mos or so?) I just stopped using the bottles. When we were transitioning, he would still get a bottle before bed, but then we just started feeding him bigger nighttime meals, so he didn't need anything else. If he woke up in the middle of the night, I gave him a sippy cup of water. It didn't take him long to realize that a sippy of water wasn't worth waking up for, so he stopped asking for anything.
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• I didn't have too much trouble with any of my kids. They were down to just one bottle before bed by the time they turned one, though.
    First I would throw all but 1 away. Out of sight, out of mind. Then you could try watering down the bottles. That's what I had to do with my oldest. Start with 1/4 water, 3/4 milk and after a day go 50/50, etc, until there is mostly just water in the bottle.
    Or just go straight to water. We found out our son didn't really want his the formula at night when he was 12 months, he wanted the bottle to suck on so we put just water in it then eventually gave it to him empty. He was off of it shortly after turning 13 months.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Why is everyone so obsessed with getting babies off bottles by the age of 1? My son is 2.5 years old and just threw his bottle away last week. He wasn't ready to be done with it before then. I had mine till I was 4 and I am perfectly healthy. Sippys are just grown up looking bottles.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• My son is 18 months old and we weaned him cold turkey at ten months. but he never cared what his milk came out of. I guess I was just lucky. but I run an in home daycare with a child that ALWAYS wanted his bottle and his mother would let him carry it around. It go to be really bad so I asked her if I could start taking it away during the day. When he realized he didnt get to carry it around 24/7 at my house he just gave it up. I think I would just take it away and hide it and get ready cause the first couple of days wont be easy .....but its better for him to be off the bottle sooner rather then later!
    Manda_62007

Answer by Manda_62007 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2008