when to start rice cereal?

what age did you start giving your baby rice cereal???

haileyraesmommy

Asked by haileyraesmommy at 11:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started giving my baby baby food and rice cereal at age 5 months i do believe. Maybe a month sooner. When I noticed formula wasnt keeping her full is when I started feeding her more filling food!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 11:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I started when my child showed signs that she was ready for it.
    Anonymous

• my son is almost five months old and i started him about a week ago, i breastfeed him also and he hasnt had any problems with constipation or anything. he doesnt eat a lot. i started the first three days just once a day, now the last two days i've givin it to him twice each day. hes doing great. i tried formula for a couple days once to give me a break, and that was way worse on his poor little tummy. this doesnt seem to make a difference. good luck!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Never. Rice cereal is junk. Mashed banana is a better first food. Or mashed avocado. Rice cereal only has blandness to commend it, nothing more. It constipates, it's expensive for what it is, and it tastes like wallpaper paste. (Works like wallpaper paste, too.)

Solids start at six months, per the American Academy of Pediatrics. Nurse or give a bottle first, then mash your chosen food and offer it on a spoon. Whatever baby takes is fine...the breastmilk or formula is still baby's "real" food.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• 4-6 months. If they do not like it, wait a week then try again. It can take up to 10 times for them to get used to something new. If baby cannot swallow it (called the toungue thrust reflex, they just spit it out) wait a week and try again. Mix cereal with formula, water, juice, or breastmilk to be runny like tomato soup, then slowly work up to an oatmeal like consistacy. If Rice does not go over good, try oatmeal or Barley. If Rice causes constipation, try one of the other cereals.
    alalsip

Answer by alalsip at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I started giving Lila 1-2 tbsp. of plain rice cereal mixed in her bottle at about 5 1/2 months. My pediatrician said that I could have started giving it to her at 4 months but the research that I did said that 5-6 months was more appropriate. My doc is kinda old school.
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• We started at 4 months, but I had wanted to wait longer. He was wanting to eat ALL of the time! And waking every hour at night because he was hungry... so his pediatrician said to start cereal and wait with other foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• at the end of my sons 3rd month, i started him on a bit of cereal. And boy he sure knew what that was for. He still eats a bit of cereal, he's 5.5 months old, and has baby foods that i make for him during the day... and no i didnt talk to my doctor first about any of it. But when he saw my son at his 4 month appt, he said that he was such a happy boy, and looked great, when i told him about the cereal, he said im so proud of you, because you are one of only a few moms that i have that doesnt call me over every little thing.. he said that what is set up as "standards" are actually just guidelines. No mom can tell another when to start feeding their baby.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Like sweetscrappin said, no other Mom can tell you this. I would discuss it with my doctor first, though. He or she can help you determine what your baby's body is ready for. I started mine at two months, and it went fabulously. He's big and extremely healthy. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• 5 or 6 months.But make sure you check with the dr. first.
    LND

Answer by LND at 6:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2008